WYSE makes history, advances to state

Niles North World Wide Youth in Science and Engineering (WYSE) placed third in Sectionals and advanced to state.

Sectionals took place in Vernon Hills High School on Mar. 14th where Niles North dominated the Math and English Categories. Junior Daniel Kang won second place in the English category. Meanwhile, freshman Jiedong Duan placed first in math. Last but not least, sophomore Aidan Perrault placed third in Math and first in English.

Since the team placed in the top three, the whole team will be advancing on to the state competition. “The last time we advanced to state as a team was in 2005,” senior Emily Moy said. The state competition will take place on Apr. 10th at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

WYSE is a club that allows students to compete in different subjects against other high schools.

The subjects that students compete in are mathematics, English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, computer fundamentals and engineering graphics. The team usually competes in regional, sectional, and state competitions. They competed in the unlimited division against Deerfield High School, Lake Zurich High School, Cary-Grove High School, Barrington High School, and Libertyville High School.

The team welcomes any students regardless of the classes level and grade. The sponsors are Tom Chung, AP Biology teacher, and Christine Camel, Honors Chemistry teacher.

“The collective effort of every team member has contributed to our success.” Chung said, “Although the students’ talent has provided a foundation for our team’s growth, it is the hard work of our students that has been the impetus to our achievements. Our students are truly inspirational to coach.”