D219 on AP Honor Roll

College Board awarded Niles Township High School District 219 the 4th Annual AP District Honor Roll. D219 is one of the only 30 districts in Illinois to be put onto this honor roll.

The College Board’s Honor Roll includes 477 districts across the United States and Canada. These districts, including D219, have been recognized by the College Board to have increased student AP enrollment and increasing, or maintaining, the AP test scores to a 3 or above in the district’s schools.

“Reaching these goals indicates that these districts are successfully identifying motivated, academically prepared students who are likely to benefit from rigorous AP course work,” according to the College Board’s release on the honor roll.

The data collected to form the honor roll was collected over 3 years. The College Board collected not only the amount of 3 or more scores on the AP exam, but also the data of the amount of commitment a district has to expanding the amount of AP classes available to students of different backgrounds and race.

“These 477 districts are committed to expanding the availability of AP courses among prepared and motivated students of all backgrounds,” College Board’s release said.

The criteria needed to be met, in order for a district to be put on the AP Honor Roll, is as follows:

• Increased access or participation in AP courses by 4% in large, 6% in medium, and 11% in small districts.
  • Increased, or maintained, percentage of exams taken by African American, Hispanic/Latino, and American Indian/Alaskan Native.
  • Increased performance levels, when comparing percentages of students scoring a 3 or higher in 2013 to 2011, unless the district already has the average score of 3 or higher for 70 percent of its students.