Rodiyat Aderibigbe, Senior

Photo credited to Rodiyat Aderibigbe

Name and Grade? Rodiyat Aderibigbe, Senior

What’s your favorite high school memory so far? Having a study hall and lunch with my friends. It’s a time when I can relax, just talk, or watch movies. And it’s my favorite memory right now because I don’t have any classes with half of them so it’s nice to just catch up or connect. 

What clubs or teams are you involved in at school? I’m only in BSU, but during sophomore and junior year I was the assistant manager of the girls swim team, I was in the book club, and gymnastics. 

How do you like to spend your free time? I have work after school. But when I’m not working I like to hang out with friends or read, cook, take pictures, [and go] late night car rides. 

What’s one thing you’re passionate about and why? I am passionate about skin care because I had bad acne during middle school so taking care of my skin is something important to me. Cooking is something I am passionate about as well, because I care a lot about what I put in my body. 

What are your plans after graduation? I am planning to go to college and major in Biology Pre-Med  I plan on becoming a dermatologist. 

Who’s your role model, and what do you admire about them? My role model is my mom and sister. My mom is the strongest and most hardworking person I know. She moved from my home country with just me and my sister, and has been taking care of us all on her own before my dad moved in with us. There are times when it’s a lot but she always makes sure that me and my sister have everything we want. My sister is the most confident and smartest person I know. She always puts her mind to everything she does and always encourages me to push myself. 

What’s the biggest lesson high school has taught you? High school has taught me a lot but one of the biggest lessons is to always stay true to yourself because high school can get so draining and suffocating. But, you’ve got to make sure you don’t let that change your values or morals, and to always get help if needed. If not, everything will just pile up and make school harder than it already is. 

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? I would love to travel to so many different places but my top five choices would be:

• Mecca – this is a place that’s really important to all Muslims and it’s somewhere I pray I get to go, even if it’s just once. 
  • Morocco – it’s a really beautiful place. The food, culture, and so many other things. 
  • Istanbul – I love watching Turkish shows so Istanbul is a place I want to visit. 
  • Italy- Italian is a beautiful language so I definitely want to visit Italy, eat the food, and visit so many places there. 
  • London – it’s a place I’ve visited when I was very young so I don’t remember much about it, but it’s a place I really plan on visiting.

What’s your favorite book or movie, and what do you love about it? 

Bird Box. It’s a thriller movie, and it’s my favorite because it was the first movie I watched with my cousins. My cousins used to live in Nigeria until they moved here and we haven’t seen each other in a long time so that’s a memory I’ll always cherish.

What advice would you give to underclassmen? Like I said, definitely stay true to yourself no matter how stressful and exhausting high school gets. Apart from all the stress and bad parts you can make a lot of great memories too. Definitely join clubs, sports, go to Hoco and prom even if you think it’s just a stupid school dance. It’s worth it because you get to make lots of memories. 

If you could be any animal, what would it be and why? Cats, because they’re so peaceful, smart, and they’re just so cute. I would love to know what goes on in their heads honestly.