Lukas Van Ostrand, Sophomore

Sam Hempen

What is your name and grade? My name is Lukas VanOstrand, and I’m a sophomore.

Who is your favorite music artist(s)? My favorite music artists are Black Sheep Wall (as well as their two other bands, Admiral Angry and Rowsdower) and the Cocteau Twins.

What is your favorite activity to do out of school? My favorite activity to do outside of school is to blindly pick out music of a specific genre I haven’t heard yet at my local record store and listen to it at home.

What is your favorite type of food? My favorite type of food is comfort food (mac and cheese, chili, etc) as well as literally anything spicy.

What is your greatest accomplishment? Why? My greatest accomplishment is squatting twice my weight, since that’s something I have been working towards ever since the start of sophomore year, and I never thought I would be able to do something like that. 

How would a friend describe you? A friend would describe me as easygoing and committed. 

What is your favorite part of your day? My favorite part of the day is the 3rd period in which I have VPE.

What influenced you to join Cross Country? I like pushing myself along with my brother and fellow Cross Country teammates, to get in the extra edge against other schools.

Will you continue to run in college? Why or why not? Joining Cross Country was really a no-brainer for me, since I had been running for years before. I wanted to continue that on a competitive level. I will definitely continue running in college. The sport is part of my life, and will forever be a part of my life.

Who is someone you look up to? Why? I look up to the marathon runner, Kipchoge. Not because he runs marathons, but because of his dedication to running. I hope to have his level of dedication and discipline one day. 

What is your biggest regret? My biggest regret is letting my anger get the best of me in certain situations.

If you could have a superpower, which one would it be? Why? If I had a superpower, it would be the power to fly since I could go anywhere I wanted in the world easily. 

What is your dream vacation? My dream vacation is going to some place in Asia, since I have not done that yet. Maybe, Japan. Who is someone that inspires you? Why? Someone who inspires me is Grant Seitz, a sophomore on our Cross Country team. He arguably has the greatest discipline and will of everyone else on the team.