Shifa Mahmood, Sophomore

Shifa Mahmood, Sophomore
Photo courtesy of Shifa Mahmood

What is your name and grade? My name is Shifa Mahmood and I am a sophomore

What is your favorite subject in school? I think my favorite subject is math, Algebra 2. It’s challenging but when you figure out how to solve the problems it feels really good and it makes me feel like I’ve succeeded in something. 

What inspired you to start taking karate? It’s because I never wanted to play any simple sports. Something about me is that growing up I saw my mom as an independent person and she succeeded in a lot of things being the only female in her house. I learned how powerful a woman can be and taekwondo shows that no matter who I am I can do something just as good as others. 

What are your other interests? I love reading and binge-watching shows. I am currently watching Gilmore Girls and white collar on Netflix. 

What do you like to do in your free time? I like to read. I like rom-com books. 

What is your favorite memory? when I used to live in my old house we only had one car in the family and I had Arabic classes it was across the street so after school we would go to the library and study and my mom would read to us and afterward we would go to our Arabic class and if we did well in Arabic class we would go to the stores nearby and we would get candy and stuff like that. 

What should people know about you? They should know that I’m a really open person and I can start by being quiet but once you know me I get open. I have a lot of energy and I put that energy into others and help them feel better. I don’t like when others are feeling down so when I can I try to make them feel better. 

What are your ideas for the future? I’ve always had the biggest dream of going to college. I want to have a dorm and be independent. No matter the college I just want to have an independent life. I have always dreamed of that lifestyle. I want to help people but instead of being a doctor I always wanted to be a lawyer I took ap psychology this year and that has made me want to help people by being a therapist. After college, I want to pursue law or psychology. 

What is the best music to listen to? I love Drake. Anytime when I’m feeling up or feeling down it helps my mood. I had an Olivia Rodrigo phase so sometimes those songs hit too. 

Is there anything else people should know about you? Some people don’t see me as the type of person to do takwondo but it is something I love and have spent years doing. Even when I am in college it’s something that I want to spread to other generations. The art of fighting and self-defense is a beautiful way to get your anger out. 

What would you do if money was no object? I would travel. I want to explore the world and explore countries and experience new things and if money was no object I would love to do that.