Chicago Bears invest more than $2 billion in new lakefront stadium project

Photo credit to WGN tv.

The Chicago Bears have recently proposed a new plan to build a domed stadium near their current home of Soldier Field. Here’s all the information we have so far. 

Previously, 13 months ago, the Bears closed on a 326-acre property formerly Arlington International Racecourse in Arlington Heights. The team purchased the property for $197.2 million but has not begun development. After complications with this project, the team ultimately decided to switch plans.  

The Bears plan to invest more than $2 billion in private money into a publicly owned domed stadium and park space. According to ABC7, the new stadium will be built on what is now the South parking lot next to Soldier Field. It is expected to feature year-round community amenities such as concerts, open plazas, and more. 

“I think the Bears should move to Arlington Heights,” sophomore Abel Stephen said. “The stadium would be much better than Soldier Field right now, leading to opportunities such as hosting the Superbowl, Final Four in March Madness, and bigger concerts which will lead to bigger revenues and indefinitely benefiting Arlington Heights.”

There is still a lot of uncertainty as to how the new plan will unfold. Despite the uncertainty, we should all appreciate and enjoy the time we have left to watch the Bears play at Soldier Field.