Nina Zomaya, Junior

Photo courtesy of Nina Zomaya

What is your name and grade? My name is Nina Zomaya and I’m a junior.

What is something that you like to do in your free time? This might already be known by a lot of people but I really like to bake! I think my favorite thing to make would be my famous chocolate chip cookies. 

Who is someone you look up to or someone who motivates you? Definitely my tennis coach, Mr. Klamm. He was there for me no matter what and helped me get through a lot of things both on and off the court. He always brings the energy and tempo. 

What is something that you value the most? Something I value a lot is my friends and my family

What got you to start playing tennis? I’m a competitive person, and I love trying out new things, so going into my sophomore year I joined the summer camp for our girls tennis team. The atmosphere was immediately warm and welcoming and I was really driven to get better every day. Every day I’d show up and each day I knew I wanted to get better, and the coaches were really supportive of that. If you’re interested in trying out, don’t be afraid! 

What are some goals you want to achieve by the end of high school? I really want to meet more people and make more connections! I want to finish off my junior year strong academically, and have fun in my senior year. I also want to get more experience with business and get more leadership opportunities when possible.

Is there any specific field you would want to go into? Right now, I’m looking at a major in business. 

Do you participate in any activities outside of school? I’m a part of Assyrian club, Spanish Honors Society, National Honors Society, and I’ve been working part time as a Team Leader at Chick-Fil-A on the side.

How do you prioritize your mental health even when under stress? Mental health is something I often struggle with. I like taking walks outside and exercising whenever possible to minimize that. Practicing mindfulness is also a really important skill that I learned and even doing something simple like meditation breaks for 5-10 minutes help me a lot. 

What is your favorite subject in school? I’ve always loved Spanish! 

What is your favorite part of yourself? My ability to forgive. I really do believe we should try to be a little more forgiving because we’re all human and we’re all bound to make mistakes. It’s okay to mess up and forgiving people is really important!

What is your biggest fear? Being alone.

What are two of your nicknames? Two of my nicknames are Nini and Nuni.

How would your friends describe you? Probably a charismatic and an uplifting person. My friends love to be around me because I always support them and I give really good advice, and I have a really lighthearted personality. My sense of humor is also really strange and unique too. 

What is your favorite part of your day? That’s a really hard one, I’d say I’m definitely a morning person! I love getting through my morning with work and school and then enjoying the rest of the day and night with my friends and family.