Jay Cha, English Teacher

Jay Cha
selfie of mr. cha

What’s your name and department?  Jay Cha and I’m in the English Department.

Why did you want to become an English teacher? I wanted to become an English teacher because my dad told me, that for me to be successful, I needed to have a positive impact in people’s lives, and I thought that being a teacher would be the best way to do that.

What’s your favorite part of being a teacher? I love the relationships I make with students, especially after COVID-19, when no one would show up on Zoom.

What’s something you love to do other than being a teacher? Right now, it’s a joy of mine to have the opportunity to be a father and spend time with my son, and I’m expecting a daughter.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?  I want to go to Banff National Park [in Alberta, Canada,] because it’s somewhere my friends and I have always wanted to go before the world ends.

What would a perfect day look like for you? As a teacher, I like it when my students walk into class on time, knowing they are eager to learn in my class, and trying to better themselves.

What puts you in a good mood every day? A good day is knowing that there aren’t going to be perfect days, but knowing I can brighten someone else’s day and knowing I can help.

If you could only wear one color for the rest of your life what would it be? Grey, because it’s my groutfit (great outfit).

What movie or show do you keep rewatching? “The Office,”Bob’s Burgers,” and “The Good Place,” because they are good-natured, fun shows.

What’s your favorite childhood memory? I remember when my parents took me to Korea and spent the whole summer there. It was so nice to reunite with family members, meet new family members, and see new sights. I want to replicate this with my children one day.

What was your first dream job? My dad wanted me to be a pilot but I wanted to be a firefighter because I thought it would be cool to help people. I also wanted to be the red power ranger or the blue power ranger.

View Comments (1)