Abel Stephen, Sophomore

Abel Stephen, Sophomore
Photo credit to Abel Stephen

What is your name and grade? My name is Abel Stephen and I am a sophomore. 

Why did you decide to play baseball? I decided to play baseball because when I was younger I watched the White Sox play baseball, and ever since then I loved the sport. 

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time? If it is a warm season I like to bike and hang out with my friends. I also like going to the gym. 

What is something people do not know about you? I can speak a language called Malayalam. Malayalam is a language commonly spoken in the southern state of India, Kerala. 

What inspires you in life? My family inspires me. I want to do well in my life to help my family. I go to school and work hard to give them everything they need. Also, to provide for my future self, and to be happy in life. 

What is your dream job and why? I want to work in finance. I like doing business and I like negotiating as well as networking. I also like working with numbers and I am in DECA to continue pursuing my dream in finance. 

What is the coolest place you have ever been to? Yellowstone. While there was no internet, it was nice to see the beauty of nature. I enjoyed seeing the old geyser erupt. I also liked seeing the bison in the area because they’re cool to see. Living in the suburbs you don’t see all the wildlife and forests. It was nice to go somewhere that is nice and quiet which is very different from Skokie. 

Where do you see yourself after high school? I plan to go to college, most likely out of state. Most likely, in a big city because of the opportunities aligning with my future aspirations. Aside from college, I’m also interested in sports. I would like to check out stadiums and arenas and stuff of that nature. 

What are the most important qualities in a friend? They need to be loyal. I think that is very important because I don’t want my friends to tell others my secrets. They need to be funny because when I talk to them I want to feel joy. Especially when I am having a rough day, I want them to cheer me up. Also, they need to have similar interests to me so we can converse with each other. A lot of my friends know a lot about sports and we talk about recent trades, off-season news, and stuff like that. 

Who is your favorite artist? Bruno Mars. I like the tone he sings in and the instruments he plays with his songs. My favorite song by Bruno Mars is “777”. I like this song because of the collaboration with Anderson Paak. 

What’s your favorite sport to watch? My favorite sport to watch is football. It is usually fast-paced action. My favorite team is the Chicago Bears. I love the team, my favorite player on the team is Justin Fields. Even though he might be traded, I still like him as a player. Even though they don’t win that much, I am still a loyal fan. I am pretty sure they will win the Super Bowl in the short years to come.