Amira Shethwala, Sophomore

Amira Shethwala

What is your name and grade level? Amira Shethwala, sophomore.

What activities are you involved in at Niles North? I am involved in Girls Tennis, Dance Marathon, and Mental Health Club.

What was your favorite memory while participating in tennis? My favorite memory from tennis is our overnight trip to Springfield for a tournament. I bonded so much with my teammates, and we had so much fun playing tennis together and being together as a team.

What is your favorite sport to watch, and why? My favorite sport to watch is probably tennis, I don’t really watch a lot of other sports, mainly because I don’t understand them, but tennis is something I am very passionate about since I play it. Professional tennis is also always so interesting and fun to watch.

Who is someone who inspires you? Someone who inspires me is my dad. He is incredibly hardworking and there is so much I learn about life from him and his experiences every day. 

Who is your favorite teacher and why? My favorite teacher is my eighth grade English teacher, Ms. Joyner. She is someone I learned a lot from and is so lively and comforting to be around. She is also one of the reasons I read as much as I do now, and I would’ve never been that way had it not been for her. 

What is your favorite place you’ve traveled to? My favorite place I’ve traveled to is probably Dubai; it’s so beautiful, and I would love to go back one day. 

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why? If I could only eat one food, it would be sushi, because it’s my favorite food and I’m always in the mood for it.

What animal do you think represents you, and why? The animal I think represents me is a dolphin because we have a lot in common in terms of how we act socially, and dolphins are one of my favorite animals. 

What is a topic you could talk about for hours? I could talk a lot about the effect of social media on teens and kids because it is something that I am passionate about. 

What is your favorite memory from last summer? My favorite memory from last summer was going to the beach to watch the sunrise with my cousins. It is definitely one of my favorite memories. 

What is a goal you have for yourself before you graduate? A goal I have for myself before graduation is to have some sort of idea of the profession I want to pursue in college and afterwards. I want to also figure out what I’m genuinely passionate about. 

If you could give advice to a freshman, what advice would you give? Some advice I would give freshmen is to not let your nerves and fear get in the way of trying something new. The only way to feel comfortable is to be uncomfortable first.