Boys’ wrestling season is off to a strong start, sport is growing as a whole

The boys wrestling team, courtesy of their Instagram, @nilesnorthwrestling
The boy’s wrestling team, courtesy of their Instagram, @nilesnorthwrestling

On Nov. 22, the boys wrestling team began their season with an opener against New Trier and Elk Grove and it was definitely one to watch. Wrestling has begun to grow as a sport, and it’s growing fast. 

Since the beginning of the season, the team has gone 3-0 in their conference wins. So far, the boys have been doing quite well even though wrestling is a tough sport. When asking coach Ryan Lindberg what he has to say to any future wrestlers or anyone interested, he says that “The hardest part of wrestling is loving it”. He also says that it takes a lot of work and a lot of determination to get to where you want to be. 

More recently, on Dec. 16, the team headed to Glenbrook South High School, where they partook in the 58th Annual Rus Erb, four of North’s wrestlers placed out of 20 teams. This year, it seems like the team has gained more supporters compared to last year, which is good news, since their Senior Night is coming up on Dec. 20, against Mather, taking place in our very own wrestling gym, which is sure to draw in many fans. 

For more information on this year’s boy’s wrestling team, be sure to check out their Instagram @nilesnorthwrestling, and make sure to show them your support at their next matches!