Scare tactics: Can you handle the fright?

illustration by Caroline Andrew (Caroline Andrew and Associate LLC)

Werewolves howl in the distance and cackling clown jumps from the shadows in front of you. You have to force yourself to believe that the scares and frights you’re encountering aren’t real, after all you’re in a haunted house– but which to choose? We’ve reviewed a few venues below that are sure to fill your pre-Halloween nights with horror.

Fear City Chicago was named in the Top Ten Haunted Houses in Illinois last year by USA Today. It consists of more than just goblins and ghouls but mind twisting scares and interactive actors that come right up to you. Hades Haunted House is a returning scary attraction that shares the same site. It takes the visitors to the frightening underworld to face the 7 deadly sins. Each frightening facility costs $25 but if you want to go to both of the houses the price is $35. For a fast pass and entrance to both haunted houses the fee is $45. Tickets can be purchased online and if you’re a student use the code: bikingvikings to get a discounted price.

For more information about Fear City Chicago and/or Hades Haunted House visit: http://fearcitychicago.com/

Are you ready for all types of monsters and crazy activities? If so then Fright Fest at Six Flags Great America is for you. This site is located in the Illinois branch of Six Flags. Fright Fest contains the usual roller coasters the park provides but a monstrous twist: zombies, vampires, goblins, ghouls, mummies, giant spiders and many more horrific characters.

Take a journey through a terrifying forest that few have survived and be horrified by zombies at a mausoleum at Fearful Frights at Six Flags Great America. Out of the five Fearful Frights three are new. The new attractions include: Wicked Woods, Manslaughter Manor and The Dead Line. The other two Fearful Frights include Massacre Medical Center and Mausoleum of Terror. In addition to the Fearful Frights is the Monstertainment. Monstertainment consists of bands, activities and games. The Mostertainment at Fright Fest has one new additions: Fright Club (NC-17).  Anyone under 17 is not permitted to enter the Fright Club but they can be entertained at the other Mostertainment events such as Love at First Fright, Zombie Jamboree Day Parade, Fantome and Face 2 Face.

For prices, directions and more information check out: http://frightfest.sixflags.com/

Scream Scene is at Oakton Park in Skokie. Rated as one of the best Illinois haunted houses, Scream Scene has been scaring people for more than 16 years. The haunted house leads the audience through a maze of rooms featuring zombies, crazy doctors, haunted nurseries, creepy clowns and a variety of other spooks and screams. As a local haunted house it attracts much attention from students from the local schools.

Scream Scene opened Oct. 5 and will be open on Fridays and Saturdays until Oct. 28. Tickets are $8 per person but on Oct. 25 (discount day) tickets are $6. Scream Scene is open from 7-10 PM  For children who aren’t quite old enough to handle Scream Scene, there is a lights-on version of the haunted house on Oct. 20 and 27 from 12-2 PM Tickets for the lights-on haunted house are $2/adult and $3/child.

For more information on Scream Scene visit: http://screamscene.org/