J. Cole responds to diss from Kendrick Lamar on his surprise drop ‘Might Delete Later’

Cover of Might Delete Later courtesy of J. Cole
Cover of ‘Might Delete Later’ courtesy of J. Cole

On Apr. 5, J. Cole responded to a diss from Kendrick Lamar off of Metro Boomin and Future’s album WE DON’T TRUST YOU. This drew in listeners and brought a lot of attention to the ongoing beef.

J Cole’s storytelling ability shines through on this album, drawing listeners in with his vivid narratives and honest emotions. The production on Might Delete Later contains a mix of beats and melodies that complement Cole’s lyrics. The album has received some praise for its authenticity, but not so much on the meaning.

Although people have strong opinions about the suddenness of the new album, Might Delete Later showcases J Cole’s growth and evolution as an artist. The album includes tracks that very strongly respond to Kednrick Lamar’s diss, one of them being 7 Minute Drill, which is just attacking Kendrick and his work. Many fans did not find this album to be pleasing to the ears, comparing it to WE DON’T TRUST YOU in almost every aspect.

A track that stands out on this album is Crocodile Tearz, which is basically Cole rapping over a piano beat dissing the other side of this beef, including Kendrick Lamar. This was a very bold move for Cole, especially because this came as such a surprise. Overall, compared to Metro and Future’s WE DON’T TRUST YOU, J. Cole fell short, but putting his response aside, this was a successful album.