Tutorial: How to write a recipe

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tutorial: How to write a recipe

You don’t have to be a foodie like me to write a great recipe. When it comes to writing recipes, you need to think about three things.  First, the season. Second, the type of food and third, the audience.

When it comes to seasons, I like to think about the types of food people are going to be drawn to.  For fall, I usually stick with the simple things, like apple pie or cider, pumpkin cupcakes or blueberry muffins. For the summer, however, my taste buds call for homemade lemonade and ice cold popsicles.

When it comes to recipes, don’t limit yourself. A recipe can call for anything, whether it be a drink, cupcake, or meal. Try and offer a variety of recipes along your investigative journey into the food world. Don’t just assume everyone’s constantly looking for a dessert. I’ve made this mistake before, until I realized there were so many other interesting and delicious foods to try.

In terms of the audience, ask yourself what people these days are looking for in a recipe. Are they focused on health? If so, offer up some gluten free or organic recipes as alternatives for the food lover. If it’s graduation season (cough cough) and they’re looking for an excellent dessert to serve at their graduation party, offer a summer cake recipe (perhaps filled with fruit?!) that a family would love.  In order to encourage people to look forward to your recipes, you have to know what they’re looking for.

When searching for a recipe, watch out for sketchy websites.  I prefer to look through cookbooks rather than search online, just because I feel it’s more reliable.  If you’re looking to become a professional cook or baker, I suggest getting a book stand to keep your cookbooks upright. That way you don’t have to stop what you’re doing to check the next steps.

The first step to any baking/cooking process is to WASH YOUR HANDS.  This is extremely crucial. I’m constantly washing my hands in the kitchen. Remember, you’re responsible for delivering a delicious and safe piece of food to your audience, so don’t get them sick. Next, grab an apron. If you don’t have one of these, I suggest wearing a shirt you don’t care about, simply because it WILL get messy. Napkins are overrated in the kitchen.

Always take a picture of your completed work to prove to your audience that this recipe is in fact possible. Remember to note any bumps along the road to alert those who plan to follow the recipe as well.  Be proud of your work, and encourage others to post comments about how the recipe worked for them. Stay confident in your baking skills and America will thank you.