Israel vows to continue fighting against Hezbollah

Le Monde
Israel and Hezbollah have been engaging in border skirmishes since the start of the conflict in Gaza.

As Israel wages war in Gaza, the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) continue skirmishes with Hezbollah on the border with Lebanon.

Hezbollah is a far deadlier enemy than Hamas could ever hope to be, whether or not Israel should maintain its aggressive stance against Hezbollah is questionable. Hezbollah remains one of the most powerful non-state groups in the world and the most powerful of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s proxy groups across the middle east. While Hamas is using homemade rockets in homemade rocket launchers, Hezbollah claims to have 100,000 soldiers as well as 100,000 rockets, more than enough to overwhelm Israel’s iron dome if need be.

Unlike Hamas, these 100,000 rockets are Iranian higher payload Iranian designed and made rockets. Hezbollah also has in its possession, thousands of anti-tank missiles, thousands of anti-ship missiles, and the equipment needed to make thousands of their missiles into guided bombs. Most militant groups are simply that, militants, Hezbollah is a militant group though they have the training of a professional army and experience from fighting with Israel in 2006 and combat engagements in Syria. 

Hezbollah has said that once a cease-fire is reached in Gaza it will halt its attacks on Israel, in response, Israel vowed to continue attacking Hezbollah even after a cease-fire in Gaza. Hezbollah has also said that if attacks on Lebanon continue after a cease-fire in Gaza is reached then they will resume and escalate their attacks on the IDF. Hezbollah fought with Israel in 2006 and in 2015 where Hezbollah proved their military capabilities.

“I think Israel should focus on finishing in Gaza before starting conflict with Hezbollah,” sophomore Jonathan Zdrentan said.

I think Israel should focus on finishing in Gaza before starting conflict with Hezbollah.”

— Sophomore Jonathan Zdrentan

Since the beginning of the conflict in Gaza, Israel has feared the opening of a second front in the North, it is unclear why Israel is dead set on continuing hostilities with Hezbollah, though it is likely Hezbollah may become a significant part of the further destabilizing region.