2023 was an unforgettable year for music; here’s my take on it

Covers+of+Lets+Start+Here.%2C+Pink+Tape%2C+Red+Moon+in+Venus%2C+For+All+The+Dogs%2C++and+Live+for+Me+
Covers of ‘Let’s Start Here.’, ‘Pink Tape’, ‘Red Moon in Venus’, ‘For All The Dogs’, and ‘Live for Me’

As we’re nearing the end of the first month of 2024, let’s take a look back to 2023 and remind ourselves what a great year it was for music. 

Most career changing – Let’s Start Here. by Lil Yachty 

Since 2016, Lil Yachty has been popular thanks to dropping some of his first tracks on Soundcloud, although only being seen as a rapper with potential by many. This entire album was a really surprising restart from Yachty’s normal work, which includes Nuthin’ 2 Prove and Lil Boat. His usual discography was centered around hard and loud rap, and Let’s Start Here. changed that.

The album kicked off with the BLACK seminole which was a strong beginning, and already gave listeners the feeling that something had changed. A fan favorite from this album is definitely drive ME crazy! This song rose to fame due to its upbeat melody and flowing lyrics, making it catchy and easy to sing along to. Over the summer, Let’s Start Here. was one of my highest played albums, something that I could listen to nearly every day. 

Even though this wasn’t Yachty’s usual style of music, his incredible lyricism and ability to create beats that everyone can enjoy was very impressive and even gave him numerous opportunities to go big, which he of course took, one of them even being to play at Chicago’s own Lollapalooza, which of course brought him even more attention. This album is a definite no-skip album filled with many entertaining songs. 

Hardest listen – Pink Tape by Lil Uzi Vert

On Jun. 30 of last year, Uzi released one of the worst albums I have ever heard of from him. It was a strange experimental mix filled with rap and death metal. As I wrote before in ‘The 5 most memorable albums of the summer’, The first few tracks which include Suicide Doors and Flooded the Face lead us to believe that this album would be at least decent, but the real reaction of me listening to the remainder of this album was just pure disappointment.

Even though I am always open to experimental changes and artists trying to open up their styles more often, I felt like this album was a weird kind of change, like an Andre 3000 rapper turned flutist kind of change. Uzi created a strange mashup of hard metal and his rapping. He is very open about his love of Japanese music and culture, but the way he integrates it into this music was just not for me, it felt forced, though I do appreciate his attempt at trying a different type of music. 

Did not disappoint – Red Moon In Venus by Kali Uchis 

On Mar. 3 of last year, Kali Uchis released her third studio album titled Red Moon In Venus. I was so excited when this album first came out. Kali Uchis has been one of my favorite artists since her 2020 album, Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios). 

Being one of my favorites, I was hoping for a good set of songs, I wasn’t even looking for a 10/10 hit album, but it feels like I got that and more. The album started with in My Garden, it’s a calming song with sounds of bugs chirping in the background, it’s only a 25 second song and it’s such a sweet start, the only lyrics being Can you hear me?//I just wanted to tell you, in case you forgot//I love you. This is such a cute start to the album and it makes the rest of the album feel so much more lovey-dovey. The most popular song is no doubt I Wish you Roses. It’s the second track on this album, it’s so adorable and you can remember the lyrics so easily. I genuinely enjoyed this entire album, it could put me right to sleep with how calm and collected it is 

Good songs, not so good album – For All The Dogs by Drake 

Coming from a very creative discography, I was expecting a lot from this album by Drake, but in reality, that is only 10 out of the 23 featured on this record. This album was either a hit or a miss for most, and for me personally, I’m in between. A number of these songs were songs that I had on repeat for the rest of the year, since the album was released on Oct. 6. 

Some specific tracks which were very popular on social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram include Rich Baby Daddy, Virginia Beach, and First Person Shooter. These songs are pleasant to listen to, but it does get repetitive after hearing it so much on social media.

Many of Drake’s fans believe that after this album, the old Drake style of music is gone forever, and I agree with that. An honorable mention from this album is definitely Daylight. It never fails to give me a good laugh with Drake’s son, Adonis, being featured at the end. This album wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, and it did have some ups and downs, but the good songs out ruled the bad. 

Feature worthy EP – Live For Me by Omar Apollo

This four song EP isn’t an album, but it should be mentioned. I love Omar Apollo’s style of music and the way he sings over the melody so creatively to make it such a short and sweet listen. I liked this so much, that I would love to have heard a full version of this EP.

Altogether, music in 2023 was really innovative and creative, even though there was some bumps. I can’t wait to see what 2024 has to offer in terms of music and even new music artists.