Chinese court begins hearings for family of Malyasia flight MH370 victims

Imae attributed to CNN
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappearance occurred a decade ago yet still affects the families of those involved

On Nov. 27, nine years since Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 disappeared over the Indian Ocean, a Chinese court in Beijing began compensation hearings for the Chinese relatives of those who died in the incident.

150 Chinese passengers were on the flight which vanished while going to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on March 8, 2014. Malaysian investigators did not rule out the possibility that the aircraft had been deliberately taken off course, and debris confirmed or believed to be from the aircraft has since washed up along the coast of Africa and on islands in the Indian Ocean. According to Reuters, the court in question has not released any details on the case, but Chinese state media said more than 40 relatives are seeking between 10 million and 80 million yuan ($1.4 million and $11.2 million) each in compensation. Some of the relatives have said they want the resumption of search efforts and for Malaysia Airlines to communicate with them directly as well as to provide them with psychological counseling.

In the decade since Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 disappeared, many theories have come up about why the plane diverted from its original course to Beijing. The only certain part of the story is that the plane undoubtedly plunged into the Indian Ocean. The mystery that surrounds the case has made it uncertain what kind of financial obligations the airline has. The case is expected to be heard in Beijing’s main Chaoyang District Intermediary Court. Similar cases have been brought up in the United States but its holding company and insurer have dismissed the cases on the grounds that it is a case to be handled by the Malaysian legal system, not the U.S. legal system.

Sophomore Johnny Zdrentan talked about how the hearings should have been earlier.

“They should have heard cases earlier, it is good that action is being taken but a decade is far too late to do the good it could have done had this happened earlier,” Zdrentan said.

These hearings could prove to be major victories for the families who lost their loved ones and possessions a decade ago though that is only a hope for the families.