Insomnia Cookies cooks up an epidemic of cookie-cravers

For all the bleary-eyed zombies with a late-night, sweet tooth, Insomnia Cookies delivers delicious cookies from noon until 3 a.m.

The inception of this business model was born on the University of Pennsylvania’s campus when student Seth Berkowitz began making and delivering cookies to student dorm rooms late at night.

Today, Insomnia Cookies has retail locations nation-wide. Locations tend to be nearby college campuses, and the closest location to Skokie is 6470 N Sheridan Rd. Unfortunately, Skokie is beyond their delivery radius, so if you find yourself with a nighttime (or daytime) craving for cookies and/or ice cream, you will have to make a trip to satisfy it.

Since I visited the University of Pennsylvania’s campus this past week, I decided to take advantage of this convenient opportunity to try Insomnia Cookies while at its birthplace.

Although I anticipated that I would the cookies during my visit ahead of time, I doubt it would have been possible to walk past their campus location within Houston Hall without sampling them even if I had not planned on purchasing them.

Houston Hall, America’s first college union building, was a hub of activity, and I found myself there more frequently than in my host’s dorm room where I slept each night of my visit. Each time I came inside Houston Hall, Insomnia Cookies’ hypnotizing scent of their bakery goodies alerted me to its presence. The smell of Insomnia Cookies was so potent, so intoxicating. It wafted throughout one whole side of Houston Hall, luring prospective and current students alike to chase the mouth-watering scent downstairs to Houston Market.

It may be a bit of a haul for Niles North students to go to Loyola University’s campus to get to Insomnia Cookies, but trust me – it is worth it.

As senior Josh Sahadeo said, “I had one fourth of a cookie and now I am an insomniac; it was fire.”

Since I am a devoted appreciator of anything chocolate, I choose to sample their chocolate chip cookies.

There is nothing like the first bite… or the second… or the third. Warm, soft on the inside, sweet melted chocolate, and crisp, crunchy edges. Each delicious texture and taste of the cookie could be appreciated either at once or one at a time depending on where you bite.

Unfortunately, I ordered with my eyes and not with my stomach, and I ate far more than my tummy could handle. The cookies appear to be small, but heed my warning that they are fairly filling. By the time I finished my cookie, I felt sick of the cookie even though it was heavenly halfway through it.

Ultimately, anything good is only good in moderation. So as long you purchase wisely, you are sure to join the nation-wide ranks of Insomnia Cookies’ insomniacs.