Communications approved for ’16-’17 school year, re-evaluation planned

Last Monday night, the D219 Board of Education approved the continuation of the Communications department with 4-3 vote.

According to the motion presented by Ruth Klint, board member, the Communications department will continue for the 2016-17 school year while the District implements measures to assess its effectiveness.

The board voted 4-3 on the following motion:

“[I] motion that an independent Communications Department be established for a period of one year while measurable achievement indicators and goals are clearly defined, and the layout of current/future sequenced classes/tracks are delineated, a report on the required alignment in facilities and funding will be generated and, the re-evaluation of extracurricular/co-curricular’s per the status of debate, journalism, etc. clarified for aligned funding and support staffing with the input of CSSI. While reviewing this department, public speaking criteria are to be defined for 219 graduation requirement.”

As a new department, the Communications department is set to challenge students and help them take steps to prepare for careers beyond high school. Like every other department, Communications will consist of its own courses such as Broadcast Production, News Production, Public Speaking, Debate, and Yearbook Production. The positions of Director of Communications were posted today.

Currently, Eric Oddo and Ivan Silverberg are the directors of Communications at Niles West and Niles North respectively.

“I think having the Communication Department for another year gives it an opportunity to continue the momentum that we started this year. We have continued to support our amazing programs … all of these offerings provide students unique opportunities to develop their skills, find their passions, and to continue to grow in new own ways,” Ivan Silverberg, Director of Communications, said.

With the 2016-17 school year just around the corner, the Communication Department will be evaluated by District committees on whether or not it will make a positive effect to the schools.