Awilda heads to Miami: Millennium Park sculpture disassembled

Tom VanEynde

Time to say a final farewell to the huge head in Millennium Park this week. The title of the piece is “Looking into my dreams, Awilda,” by Jaume Plensa. The giant head is in the process of being disassembled and will be gone in about three days to be sent to another location in Miami, Florida.

“It’s good that the head will be moved because then other people will have the oppertunity to see it. People don’t always have access to Chicago, and this way the statue can share a little of Chicago with others,” said, Freshman, Kim Fernandez.

This distorted sculpture of a little Dominican girl’s face was placed in Millennium Park in 2014 in honor of the park’s 10 year anniversary. The artwork stood 39 feet tall near the entrance of Millennium Park, spilting the city’s North and South sides. Originally, Awilda was accompanied by three other bronze head sculptures, creating a larger aroma with the theme of distorted and mysterious faces, all created by Plensa.

“I liked the huge sculpture because it was a really big tourist attraction, that people could see when they walked into Millennium Park. It’s interesting how the artist wanted the faces of the statues to be so distorted and tall. Whenever I walked past them, they become altered slightly. That made them even more unique,” said, Sophomore, Emma Groner.

Whether or not tourists and residents enjoyed Awilda’s presence, she will be placed at Museum Park in Miami, Flordia where hopefully others can experience positive encounters. Meanwhile, the three other bronze heads that were installed in 2014 with Awilda will remain in Chicago.

What’s next going to be the next big tourist attraction for Millennium Park or will there even be one? Chicagoans, look out for the next big thing in the upcoming few months.

Image by: Richard Gray Gallery