Blend in with the art around you

Niles North gives students a chance to think outside of the box by offering endless classes to give them opportunities to explore their interest. To further explore, engineering classes take extreme to a whole new level by giving students a chance to invent their own robotic device. Science classes such as STEMS gives students the ability to test their hypothesis based on their interest of different sciences. Business classes give students a chance to explore real world situations. These different courses lead students to a more serious and high standard jobs, but there is one subject that doesn’t really get to people and that is art.

“Artis are connected to everything. Artists like to do research, they like to explore, they like to invent. I think art teaches people to think outside the average box,” Lori Real, art teacher said.

With 2,400 students attending Niles North, about a few take art classes. Many students believe that art won’t get them anywhere and that it is a waste of time. Because of this reason, students avoid taking art courses. That is not true at all! Art is no different than engineering or biology. Art gives students a place to explore their imagination and build their creativity. Art gives students the experience to think outside the box.

“I was put into ceramics and I was not happy at all, but within a month I fell in love with art. It forces you to think and gives it challenges you to dig deeper. Art is meaningful to me,” Elise Grossman, senior,said.

Lori Real also had this to say, “I think everybody on the planet has creative abilities. I think art is a way to see the world with a different perspective. On so many levels, it teaches you discipline, problem solving, and it is just like science that art mistakes are more possibilities. We live in a technological world and I think people are out of touch with creating with their hands, so that is why art gives students a sense of relief and free expression. It is a place where you heal your soul and gives endless opportunities. Art gives people a voice.”

Niles North offers many art courses such as:
Ceramics 1 and 2: Sculpt your idea with clay
Art foundations: Learn the basic fundamentals of art and experience it.
Drawing and Painting: Learn how to become a master at blending colors and draw epic pictures.
AP art studio: Think you got what it takes! Join Ap art and become a better artist.

“I think that art activates certain parts of you and your brain that are otherwise not disciplined in schools, there are multitudes of scientific studies on that. But besides that art is so important- it’s beauty, it’s creativity, it’s catharsis, and it’s all very difficult. It’s sad that it gets underfunded because it’s not a math or science when in reality art is crucial to be a balanced and well rounded invidious,” Sharmain Siddique, senior, said.

If you go way back in time art has always been a reflection of society, all the way from cave paintings to sculptures today. Art is concerned with the Earth, civil rights, having a voice. Art altars people’s existence. It’s an expression that people gives people a purpose and brings them together.

Top Image: Ivan Silverberg, Director of Communications