Asrow selected to present at Junior Science and Humanities Symposium nationals in D.C.

Asrow+selected+to+present+at+Junior+Science+and+Humanities+Symposium+nationals+in+D.C.+

The Niles North science program has pushed their boundaries this year more than any other, earning much recognition throughout the local academic community and around the country for students’ unique and groundbreaking research projects. On Mar. 31, senior Emmie Asrow participated in the 37th Annual Junior Science and Humanities Symposium (JSHS) at Loyola University Chicago as one of the twelve finalists in the Chicago Region.

Asrow placed second in the competition with her research titled “The Correlation Between pTau, A-beta-38, -40, and -42 Protein Levels and Alzheimer’s Disease,” and was granted a spot to present her work at the JSHS national competition in Bethesda, MD that will be held from May 2-6. On top of receiving the all-expense paid trip out east, Asrow was also awarded a $1,500 scholarship at the regional symposium.

“I tried to find a diagnostic test for Alzheimer’s Disease because it is terrible disease and a growing problem in society. Its effect on people is devastating, but there is no way to prevent it, diagnose it or treat it,”  Asrow explained about her work. “I hope my project can begin to help people get diagnosed quickly so they have the best chance to slow the progression of the disease.”

In order to complete her project, Asrow partnered up with Dr. Robert Kernstock of Astellas Pharma. He spoke to her STEM Inquiry and Research class her sophomore year, and agreed to be her mentor when she approached him about Alzheimer’s Research. Asrow is grateful for all the help and support they have provided her with during her journey.

The JSHS Program promotes original research and experimentation in the sciences, engineering, and mathematics at the high school level, and publicly recognizes students for outstanding achievement. If Asrow places in the top two at the national competition, she will be eligible to attend the International Youth Science Forum (IYSF) in London during the summer where prizes may amount to thousands of dollars in scholarships.