Is Gunna’s ‘One of Wun’ really one of a kind?

Graphic by Annie Tumang

On May 10, Gunna released his newest album, One of Wun, which is his fifth studio album. Fans have been looking forward to this album the second that he announced it. Gunna rose to fame in 2018 with his third mixtape titled Drip Season 3, getting even more popular since then. 

The first few tracks rolled out for this album were Bittersweet and Prada Dem, which didn’t actually end up as some of the more popular songs. The album opens with collage, this song was the track that made me realize what I would be in for, a lot of similarity. There were very high expectations for this album, and for some, most were fufilled. 

One of Wun features the well known producer, Turbo. For the past year, Turbo and Gunna have been inseparable, whether it be making music, or hanging out together. Their collaboration brought lots of success to the album, and it was fulfilling to see them work together on a big project like this, even though it didn’t live up to expectations. 

The album opens with collage, something that sounds very like classic Gunna. The rapper projects his success with the lyricsOrange County, I’m at the Montage//The Lambo’, the Benz, or the Dodge// Ferrari, add to the collage.’. All in all, this was a very strong opening for the new album, and it set me up to believe that this would 100% be a ten out of ten album, but unfortunately, I was disappointed. 

Overall, this album was okay, but definitely not one of a kind. The flows felt all too similar to previous Gunna albums and I found myself lost when trying to find specific lyrics in tracks. I do like Gunna’s style of music, but this record was nothing special. When I’m listening to a new album, I’m looking for a little bit of a change up, and this was nothing like that.