“Sting” horrifyingly lacks in its bite

Scared of spiders? This movie might not be for you. Sting is one of the newest horror films for this year, released on April 12 and has grossed a humble $1 million since its release. Albeit it’s low budget and low revenues, it’s little quirks make the movie more special.

The movie takes place over the course of four days in a small apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Charlotte, the protagonist, played bye Alyla Browne is struggling to gain the attention of her parents since the birth of her new half-baby brother, soon after moving into the new apartment she sees a meteor shoot through the sky, unbeknownst to her a spider emerges from it and finds its way into her apartment. 

The two meet in Charlotte’s room where she decides to make the creature her new pet, little does she know that the spider has a taste for human flesh and seemingly doesn’t stop growing. 

Additionally, the premise of the movie isn’t too unique-it has the cliché alien infestation of a new un-killable species of animal. However, the world building of the movie is appealing and doesn’t feel undercooked or rushed, the slow and personal introduction of each character makes it more interesting and intimate. Not to mention the visuals and GFX were top notch, the spider looked more than realistic.

Sophomore, Lucas Jimenez says the movie was average but had character. “It had a good amount of jump scares, I just think that the budget was a big benefactor for the lack of a more complex story,” he said.

Overall, the movie held up with the budget given and is worth a watch.