Pearl Jam’s ‘Dark Matter’, an upbeat yet redundant addition to their catalog

Courtesy of: Oliver Dreznick
Courtesy of: Oliver Dreznick

“Dark Matter” is the newest release from the critically acclaimed grunge band Pearl Jam. Emerging from the Seattle grunge scene in the early 1990s, Pearl Jam quickly became one of the defining bands of the era. Formed in 1990, with singer Eddie Vedder, guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Gossard , bassist Jeff Ament and Dave Krusen (later being replaced by Matt Cameron in 1998). Pearl Jam’s music is characterized by its raw, emotive sound, blending elements of blues, punk, and alternative music to create their signature sound. The band’s debut album, “Ten,” released in 1991, catapulted them to international fame, featuring hits like “Alive,” “Even Flow,” and “Jeremy.”  And though amusing, unfortunately “Dark Matter” is not a revolutionary new addition to their catalog.

Pearl Jam’s music often tackles social and political issues, with lyrics that were able to resonate with listeners on a personal level. And though they keep that energy on their newest album it seems as if the concept is becoming more and more strained throughout their career.

Kicking things off with Scared Of Fear, the song starts with an AC/DC inspired riff, keeping that intensity into React, Respond, an energetic track reminiscent of songs on their album Vs.. They then slow things down with the politically charged Wreckage which in an interview with Variety, Vedder says; “There is a guy in the United States who is still saying he didn’t lose an election, and people are amplifying that message as if it is true… the song is saying, let’s not be driven apart by one person, especially not a person without any worthy causes”. Following Wreckage is the title track Dark Matter, a rhythm heavy track with a strong backing beat by Jeff Ament on bass and Matt Cameron on drums. Heavily contrasting the previous song is Won’t Tell, which feels less like Pearl Jam and more like Eddie Vedder singing for U2; which isn’t necessarily bad but it seems as if it doesn’t really fit with the rest of the album. We then move on to Upper Hand which seems to follow in the motif of the band replicating other’s sounds, this time a minute and a half intro reminiscent of Pink Floyd. Waiting For Stevie is the next song and though it’s a cheerful nod to Stevie Wonder, unfortunately its lyrics are cheesy, boring, and incredibly repetitive. Following is the punk centered Running with a signature Pearl Jam face-melting solo before taking an odd turn with chorus like, chanting vocals in the chorus, another departure from their usual sound. Another cheesy song comes next with Something Special, this time though it’s a lot sweeter Waiting For Stevie as it’s a father’s testament to his daughter. The penultimate ballad of Got to Give seems as if it’s trying to be a ballad of sorts but it ends up just being a Pearl Jam clone rather than the actual band. Setting Sun rounds out the album and it seems like it’s trying to be an amalgamation of the previous song but feels as if it isn’t the closer it sets out to be.

With Pearl Jam being the staple that it is in rock music in general it would be hard for fans if they decided to deviate from their current genre/style of music, and they seem to be aware of this. Throughout the album instead of flipping a switch and focusing on a new sound or a specific theme, they seem to use a cop out with a theme of “the human condition”. Which may seem admirable at first glance but really can cover any topic therefore it shows a neophobic tendency when it comes to their music. Even with the criticism on the album as a whole, the band’s members still find ways to masterfully craft lyrics and melodies in a way that can only be achieved through years of proficiency and continuous practice. Vedder is able to write masterful lyrics to accompany the band’s music. So though the album finds comfort and strength in its steadfast adherence to the familiar, there isn’t much to talk about overall.