Ariana Grande’s newest album ‘eternal sunshine’ is giving us a new era of Ari

Cover of ‘eternal sunshine’ courtesy of Spotify

On Mar. 8, Ariana Grande released her newest album, eternal sunshine. The album showcases Grande’s versatile vocals, receiving many positive reviews from fans, but also stirring some disagreement among them. It explores themes of love and discovery. 

When first listening to this album, I was expecting something along the lines of heartbreak, like one of her other albums, Sweetener due to the recent controversy that surfaced about her alleged relationship with Ethan Slater, who was her co-star in Wicked. A heartbreak was not what we got, and that’s better than what I expected. Grande gave us a petty clapback in an attempt to shut down all the rumors that have been circulating. 

The album opens with intro (end of the world), a song bringing up questions about Grande’s relationship, which are later answered in the last song ordinary things. I think that this was a very clever introduction to the album because a lot of the album is talking about her relationship, in the positive and negative aspects. 

A track that obtained the most popularity was yes, and? This song was the album’s lead single and the ninth track. A lot of the feedback was negative, and lead to Grande losing many followers, since this song was basically addressing her relationship with Ethan Slater and how she didn’t really care that people had something to say about it, many find Madonna’s single Vogue to have very similar aspects to it. 

Overall, this album was very impressive. I’m not an avid Ariana Grande listener, but this was such an enjoyable listening experience that I would recommend this album to anyone who is looking to open up their music taste, or even to someone who wants to give Grande’s music a try, and under all the controversy, even though this wasn’t the most mature way to approach it, Grande did a great job with her lyricism and melodies.