‘Underdressed at the Symphony’ is a love letter for lovers, and we’re here for it

Cover of ‘Underdressed at the Symphony’ courtesy of Spotify

On Mar. 1, Faye Webster released her fifth album, titled Underdressed at the Symphony. This marks her first album in three years since I Know I’m Funny haha, a clear and popular fan favorite.I have been a fan of Faye for a while now, and when I first heard she was releasing an album, I knew that I had to listen to it, with very high hopes at that. 

The album begins with Thinking About You, a six and a half minute song about the deep feelings that come with liking a special someone. There are some challenges and frustrations also mentioned in the song, but the vision of the connection is never driven away from. This song was really repetitive with the lyrics ‘I’m thinkin’ about you//thinkin’ about you’. The repetitiveness of this lyric dives deep into how much the singer really thinks about that someone. This song contains the same lyrics many times over and over again but honestly it was calm and relaxing to hear, even if it was repetitive. 

My favorite song from this album is He Loves Me Yeah! In this song, Webster sings about a loving and affectionate relationship. The singer expresses how much she appreciates the partner’s love and care. A pattern throughout this album is repeating lyrics, and this is even shown in this song when repeating ‘My baby loves me, yeah, he loves me, yeah’. I feel like the unvarying routine of lyrics put emphasis on how much Webster truly has an appreciation for her partner. 

This album was the most Faye Webster-y album I’ve heard in a while, and I enjoyed every second of it. This album is a perfect mix of lovey-dovey and emotion which can lead to many people relating to it, not only that, this album is perfect or a rainy school day and knowing that spring is coming up.