‘Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’ will leave you starving for more

Released on November 17, the prequel Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes tells the backstory of Coriolanus Snow, one of the antagonists from the Hunger Games trilogy. Throughout the movie we see the choices Snow makes that eventually guides him down the same path as his father, where towards the end Tigris, his cousin, tells him “I think you look just like your father, Coriolanus.” 

The film does a really great job at keeping Snow’s intentions ambiguous, which created a few jaw-dropping moments. There wasn’t a single boring scene, and it was super cool to see what the Hunger Games were like back then, since this movie takes place 64 years before the first movie. The cast was also perfectly chosen, and every actor played their character really well. Most of the actors were decently new to the screen, which gave a refreshing feel as most roles are given to commonly seen actors. One of the actors in particular, Rachel Zegler who plays Lucy Gray Baird, had a lot of singing scenes that she sang live on set, which were crucial to the film. Although the songs are a tad goofy, it can’t be denied that she nailed her role as she has a really strong voice. The overall soundtrack was perfect for the movie, which made watching it in theaters extremely memorable. Especially with the reclining chairs, it’s a much needed experience. 

The sets for each scene worked beautifully with the camera, with some really interesting angles and perspectives that aren’t typically seen in other movies. Little details like this make the film so much more special and often go unnoticed. All of the Hunger Games movies tend to fit this theme, where it feels like the film is coming off the screen. 

It’s highly recommended that the first three movies are seen before watching The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, so there’s less confusion but also for a more enjoyable watch. As someone who’s only read the first book, it’s definitely worth reading the books as well, before or after, as they contain more details that aren’t included in the films. 

Since the main character, Coriolanus Snow, is portrayed as an antagonist, we not only get a unique perspective but a bittersweet ending. This is partly due to the ending being left up for interpretation, as there’s a scene that isn’t quite clear as to what exactly happens. The movie is quite long, with a 2 hour and 38 minute runtime, but it’s so immersive that it almost feels like a dream. The ending does feel a bit rushed, along with the character development, but it doesn’t disappoint in the end. This movie was truly amazing, and definitely worth watching.