Visit the Christkindlmareket, ZooLights this Christmas season

Graphic made by Lily Howard

As Christmas time gets closer, the activities in Chicago are endless. For years Chicago has been a place thousands of people visit to enjoy the Christmas themed activities. Two of the most popular events that are a constant fan favorite are the Christkindlmareket, and ZooLights at Lincoln Park Zoo. However, if you’re interested in a few more activities, you can view the Chicago website here.

The Christkindlmarket has opened at all three locations and will remain open until Dec 24. The Christkindlmarket is a German style Christmas outdoor market that is completely free to enter for all guests. Walking in you will be greeted with an array of different sites and colors from the plentiful vendors selling everything from ornaments, clothing, and any knick knacks you could possibly imagine. 

“I’ve gone for the past five years, probably once a year. It’s very cherryy, you don’t see a lot of unhappy people there. They have really good food, and I’m a knick knack guy. It’s nice because  they have all assortments of knick knacks, baubles, and trinkets there”, sophomore Oliver Dreznick said.

You will also be hit with the wide variety of smells coming from the different food stations. Here they sell everything from chocolates, licorice, pretzels, and tons of traditional German foods for all to try. There are also plenty of drinks to choose from like hot chocolate being sold at almost every corner to keep you warm during your visit. 

“They have this grilled sort of french bread there that is just so good. Give me one of those and I’ll tear it up live,” Dreznick said

The purpose of the market is to unite cherished German and European traditions with a few international ideas that everyone loves. It was inspired by the original Christkindlmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany. Overall the market does an excellent job of providing a beautiful space for all groups of families and friends. 

To see specific details of locations and times, view the official Christkindlmarket website

The second event taking place in Chicago is ZooLights. 

ZooLights at Lincoln park zoo opened on Nov 17., and will continue until Jan. 7. The event  includes exciting exhibits, photo opportunities, and interactive programs anyone can participate in. Tickets began anywhere from $7-$10, to purchase and see the exact time and dates, click here.

“I’ve been going about every year since I was four. It’s really fun and the lights are really pretty. They also give you 3d glasses that make the lights look really cool, and have cool ice carving shows, all while still being able to look at the animals” Oliver Dreznick 

It’s a wonderful event to experience and creates the most amazing atmosphere. The event can be enjoyed by people of all ages and all groups. It would be a great place to hang out with friends or family. 

“It’s a really nice environment, everyone is happy and with their family. The lights are also really nice.” Elle Lasquite

Ultimelty, the city of Chicago is a must stop for this Christmas season. To see stunning lights, eat delicious food, and make forever lasting memories with the people you love.