Lionel Messi wins eighth Ballon d’Or

Photo credited to: Reuters

The 2023 Ballon d’Or ceremony has just wrapped up, and here are some key takeaways. 

The Ballon d’Or, first given in 1956, is an award given to the best player in the world that year in soccer, voted on by influential journalists from around the world. They each submit five votes in order of ranking, and the player with the most points from these votes receives the coveted Ballon d’Or, also known as the Golden Ball in English. 

This year, the Ballon d’Or went to none other than Lionel Messi, meaning that he’s won eight since his professional career began. He is currently playing at Inter Miami, but also played at PSG during the time frame that was taken into consideration in the Ballon d’Or voting process, and won the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, captaining Argentina and leading their scoring in the competition with seven goals, including two in the final. 

Messi’s eighth Ballon d’Or means that he’s now won more Ballon d’Ors on his own than any country has won in total, eclipsing France, Netherlands, Portugal, and Germany, who each had players of their country win seven. This also means that Messi now has three more Ballon d’Ors than his rival Cristiano Ronaldo.

Many fans acknowledge this crazy achievement and have only one thing to say about it. 

“Messi is the best player of all time,” senior soccer fan Dany Sticlaru said. “There’s not a doubt in my mind. This just proves that fact even further.”

Some don’t share the same opinion and don’t think that Messi deserved the award in the first place. 

“Haaland deserved it,” junior soccer fan Bobby Schneider said. “He scored a billion goals this year and broke almost the same amount of records. I think it’s crazy that Messi stole this one away from him.”

Bobby is referring to Erling Haaland, Norway international and Manchester City player. He broke over 20 records in the 2022/23 season, and scored 52 goals, leading Manchester City to a Champions League title, a Premier League title, and an FA Cup Title. He was ranked second in the rankings, with 357 points compared to Messi’s 462. Although he didn’t receive the Golden Ball, he did not go home empty-handed, receiving the Gerd Mueller trophy for the year’s best striker.  

There were also multiple awards given other than the Golden Ball, such as the Kopa trophy, which is given to the best under-21 player in the world. This year’s recipient of the trophy was no other than Jude Bellingham, the 20-year-old England international and Real Madrid superstar. This came as a surprise to none, as Jude had a stellar year and found himself 18th on the Ballon d’Or full ranking.

Another award that was given was the Socrates Award, given to a player who has done significant humanitarian work. This year’s recipient was Vinicius Jr., Brazil international and another Real Madrid player. He was recognized for starting a foundation that is building schools in impoverished areas and investing in education in Brazil, as well as his outspoken work amidst repeated racial abuse as a player, promoting racial equity in soccer, especially in La Liga.  

Although many think the Ballon d’Or could’ve gone to a different person this year, it does not change the fact that Lionel Messi has cemented himself as possibly the greatest player of all time with this year’s achievements.