Niles North unveils new three-story addition, library, more improvements

Penelope Roewe
The exterior of the school was renovated, giving the Main Entrance a clean, new look.

After nearly a year and a half of construction, Niles North students and staff will be able to access the brand-new three-story addition. This addition includes a colorful lobby; a specific entrance for visitors; new offices for counselors, social workers and administration; a student commons area and classrooms.

The building has undergone many new improvements this summer. The library is in the process of being completely renovated, with plenty of study rooms and spaces for students. The old social worker offices have been transformed into modernized classrooms, and the old counselor offices have been turned into an AVID space. Additionally, the field behind the football stadium is currently being turfed and redone.

The three-story addition allows for administration to all be in the same general area, making it more convenient for visitors and students. Prior to the renovation, offices were dispersed throughout the entire school, making it difficult for students and parents to access counselors, social workers, and administration.

“I’m excited about being more accessible because people will now know where I’m at, or at least know the area I’m at,” Niles North Principal James Edwards said. “Back [in my old office students] would have to ask like five people, ‘Where’s Edwards’ office?’ So I felt isolated over there. But I don’t feel isolated up here, I feel very connected.”

While the new student commons on the third floor will be closed for the first few days of school, students will be using the new lobby entrance to enter the school on the first day.