James Behling, Math Teacher

Photo courtesy to James Behling

James Behling, Math Teacher

What is your name and the department you teach?  Mr. Behling; the Math Department

What is your favorite part about your profession?  Sharing my passion for problem solving. Teaching students how to think like a problem solver.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Why?  I love teaching Algebra 1 because the concepts you learn in Algebra 1 form the foundation for everything that comes next. It’s super important to understand those concepts at a fundamental level. It’s a challenge to teach students how to “dig deep” instead of just memorizing the steps, and I love a challenge. I also love teaching Calculus because it is the “last chapter” in high school math — the culmination of all the math you have ever learned.

What got you interested in coaching badminton?  My oldest daughter Allison played badminton in high school. It’s a great sport because anyone can be good at badminton. And, oh yeah, it’s a ton of fun. Give it a try next year!!! Talk to one of the girls on the badminton team if you want to learn more.

How would a colleague describe you as a friend?  I have no friends.  🙂

What is your favorite song, show or movie?  Good Will Hunting, a great movie, and a great MATH movie. It will make you cry, like all good movies, either tears of sadness or tears of joy.

What is the biggest accomplishment you have seen your students do?  I have had students who were struggling in August, September and October who never gave up and continued to work hard, and who eventually passed my class with a C or even a B. It’s a great feeling as a teacher to see your students overcome their obstacles.

What got you interested in mathematics?  One day in my high school precalculus class I realized that I was pretty good at math and maybe I shouldn’t goof around so much.  🙂

How would you describe the environment of your classroom(s)?  I hope that students find my class challenging but fair. I am a “traditional” teacher who probably lectures a little too much, but I try to explain WHY math is the way it is and how concepts build on each other and relate to each other — instead of just asking students to memorize steps without the background understanding. I try to encourage students to ask questions and reach out for help, especially outside of class. In recent years, since the pandemic, students appear to be less willing to ask for help, so this is a big area of emphasis for me. Learning is really about making mistakes and working hard to understand those mistakes, which requires a willingness to ask for help.

What is your best memory of working at Niles North?  The circle drawing contest, badminton club/team and teaching multivariable calculus to name a few.