Abrar Quadri, Senior

What is your Name and grade? Abrar Quadri

What clubs, sports, and/or activities have you been involved in throughout your high school career? I am involved in numerous clubs such as HOSA, Athletic training Club, Art club, and SPAC 

What club are you most passionate about? And why are you most passionate about it? I love HOSA because I love to learn about health care occupations. I also plan on going into the medical field and becoming a neurosurgeon. By being in HOSA I can learn about not only my future career but also how other medical careers play into my career

What made you want to become a neurosurgeon? I’ve wanted to become a neurosurgeon since I was little, I just never realized. When I was 7 my Grandpa was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. I vividly remember being in my living room sitting across from my Grandpa and I asked him what my name was, he replied with “I don’t know who you are, get out” in a very stern tone. I was deeply hurt when he said this because I didn’t understand what Dementia was. After feeling like that I never wanted anyone to feel like that feeling, so right then I decided to be the one who would either prevent that from happening or reduce the effects of cognitive diseases like Alzheimer’s.

Who do you look up to and why? I look up to my uncle, He always makes time for others and he puts others before himself which is what I want to be like

Where do you see yourself after college? After college I plan to go to medical school for 4 years, after graduating I hope to match into a neurosurgery residency and eventually become a neurosurgeon.

Who is your favorite teacher in Niles North? I can’t pick a specific teacher but I would say that the two teachers at the top are Ms. Yu and Mr. Chu. I like Ms. Yu because she lets me stay in her office when I don’t want to go to class or study hall and she’s extremely kind and sweet. However, I like Mr. Chu because I’ve had him since my sophomore year and he adds humor to his math class which in my opinion is really hard to do. He’s also a very laid back person which I like.

What noticeable changes do you notice in yourself from Freshman year to now? I have changed a lot from freshman year, during freshman year I never really tried in school and cared more about fitting in and having fun. However this year I balanced it out and did my work as well as making friends and having fun. I had Ms. Yu during freshman year and when I had her again senior year she just couldn’t wrap her head around that I was the same Abrar.

What helpful advice do you have for the next incoming freshman? I think it would be good for freshmen not to get so caught up in labels, becoming popular, and getting into relationships. I say this because those are the things that I thought about during my freshman year, but as a senior and applying to college I realized how much I should’ve focused and been more involved in school. Since high school flew by so quick I just wish I could go back in time and tell myself to really focus on up on school. 

What are your thoughts on graduating high school early? I feel like it’s not a bad thing to do but I’m also not completely for it. In my case I could’ve already graduated, but with the friends and clubs I’m currently involved in I would like to stay in school more for the “high school experience” because it’s not something you can have after graduation. For those who do choose to graduate early I think it would be a great opportunity to work more if they have a job and for those who would like to start college early and get things out of the way as quickly as they can I think it would be a great idea to get that head start.