Caroline Benjamin, Director of Student Activities

Get to Know North

Caroline+Benjamin%2C+Director+of+Student+Activities+

Photo courtesy of Caroline Benjamin

What is your name? Caroline “Caro” Benjamin. Caroline is my American name, and Caro is my Assyrian name.

What is your job title? Director of Student Activities, I’ve been at North for 11 years. In my first year, I served as a substitute.

Where were you born? I was born in Chicago.

What languages do you speak? Besides English, I’m fluent in Assyrian and Spanish.

What are some of your hobbies? Yoga, traveling, spending time with my kids, and trying new restaurants.

What is your favorite food? Kash Ke Badejan, is a Persian dish that consists of mashed eggplant and is topped with tahini and spices.

What is your favorite show? My favorite show would have to be Game of Thrones.

Who is your favorite musical artist? I absolutely love Sabrina Claudio.

What would you like to see more of at Niles North? I want to see more student solidarity, with unity of all races, religions, and cultural backgrounds. Standing up for each other in times of need, and all the time. I’d also like to see less disrespect and disregard for one another. It makes me sad to hear of the instances where school property is destroyed like in the bathrooms or where students are disrespecting one another because I know we can be better for each other than that!

What would you like to see less of at Niles North? I’d like to see less disrespect and disregard for one another. It makes me sad to hear of the instances where school property is destroyed like in the bathrooms or where students are disrespecting one another because I know we can be better for each other than that!

What do you do to make NN a safe place to learn? I work hard to ensure students feel heard and seen by creating spaces that empower their identities to shine! Whether it’s a religious, cultural, racial, etc identity group I hope these spaces give the students the safety and sense of belonging They deserve at North. 

How do I bring positivity to Niles North? Student Activities brings positivity through our various spirit weeks and events, such as assemblies and dances. We also hope our little moments each day like music in the hallways or Viking Voice bring positivity to our school community!