Shethwala: the LOVE of the NN Girls Tennis team

Photo courtesy of Brett Bildstein

Sophomore Sobia Sethwala is celebrated at the Girls Tennis State send-off.

On Oct. 19, sophomore varsity tennis player Sobia Shethwala received a send-off as she prepared to compete in the IHSA Tennis State Championship.

Shethwala has been Niles North’s top singles player since she was a freshman, and after this season, she doesn’t seem to be slowing down. In an interview with Shethwala, she gave a look into her thoughts on the event and her plans going forward.

“I felt so happy and satisfied! I was working towards this for so long and my efforts were finally paying off,” Shethwala said.

Sobia would go on to make it to the second round of the tournament falling just shy of the third.

“State was definitely an eye-opening experience. It was a highly competitive atmosphere that I’m grateful I was able to participate in and learn from,” Shethwala said. This accomplishment no doubt will definitely set the bar high next season for Shethwala, however, she said that she’ll take it step by step and just see what happens. 

Q: What are your future tennis plans?

Shethwala: Right now I’m focusing on tennis in high school, but as I get closer to graduation I would love to see myself playing tennis in college.

Q: What had led up to that point?

Shethwala: Throughout this season especially, I had really focused on working hard and maintaining a high level of work ethic, which allowed me to put myself in the best possible position to qualify for state. 

Q: What would you say motivates you?

Shethwala: What motivates me is a genuine passion for the sport and wanting to be the best that I can be. I also want to make my family, my team, and my coaches proud of the hard work that we all collectively put in to get me to this position. 

Q: Anything to say to the school about your feat?

Shethwala: Thank you for all the support and help you’ve given me. I’m thankful to represent Niles North wherever I compete and be in this position, and I hope I can continue to make everyone proud!