W3 <3 Fb

Sometimes I feel like I live inside the website that we all hold so dearly to our hearts. Facebook is constantly mentioned in the ongoing conversations throughout the halls of Niles North. It is a vivid presence in students’ lives. However, I’m sure that we are not alone in our immersion within this technological craze that has already swept the nation.
Walking to class I hear of activity on the site from the night before, or even what’s going on during the day. This does not surprise me. But what does, is what the students do with their time on Facebook. I hear disappointment in people’s voices as they speak of the slim number of comments and “likes” received on their latest status or of the low concentration of texts received by their cell phone.
Most commonly I hear of crazy Internet fights between a couple or two girls who have similar profile pictures. More recently I learned of a fracas that occurred on Facebook and Tumblr. While no real physical damage occurred, both parties ended up with hurt feelings. This lack of bruises may be considered a plus, but it increases the problem of diminishing actual communication between real people. It’s hard to believe that this is what the world has come to.
You must be thinking that I am a hypocrite, considering this article is posted  on a website, and I am. If anyone is guilty of this obsession with social media, it’s me. I will admit that I spend hours  online each night, when I could be asleep. I don’t know why I have become so infatuated with something so unimportant, but I have. It is the same reason why whoever is reading this article is checking their notifications and responding to texts at the same time. We all do it, and we are losing the ability to physically and traditionally communicate — besides inboxing and texting each other of course.