Major league baseball overshadowed by a scandal

9News
Jontay Porter playing on the court

Sports gambling has been around for recent years: basketball, soccer, and power slap league.

In the month of March Major League Baseball held its season openers. As leagues have accepted gambling apps like Fanduel, one of the largest sports gambling apps to increase engagement with audiences; the downside is the chance of being rigged to manipulate the money.

After 2018 the Supreme Court decided to sign a contract for states to legalize sports betting. The NBA signed a contract of 25 million multiyear deal with Fanduel. Currently, the Basketball Association is investigating a player over irregular bets during the major baseball league.

Jontay Porter, a major player in the Toronto Raptors is away from the team for being a subject to gambling misuse. In a game against the Clippers, he had three rebounds and 3s were the largest moneymaker in the game. On March 20 against the Kings, with large amounts wagered, he went scoreless and left leaving suspicions of the game being fixed.

As the sports industry continues to grow the chance of games being fixed increases. This could be an upcoming problem as gambling becomes more and more popular. This is worse for the majority of people who experience side effects. Being restless, distressed, and addicted.

To this day Jontay Porter is off-bench and facing allegations of the fixed game. His days playing might be limited and may lead to a lifetime ban.