Polish club looks to increase cultural representation within Niles North

Polish+club+members+pose+with+the+Polish+flag.+Photo+credited+to%3A+Ms.+Pommerenke-Schneider.+
Polish club members pose with the Polish flag. Photo credited to: Ms. Pommerenke-Schneider.

Niles North has further expanded the cultural representations within the school with the creation of Polish Club. 

The club, sponsored by social studies teacher Ms. Pommerenke-Schneider, was created during the 2023/2024 school year by a few Polish students with the aim of spreading awareness to Polish culture and its customs. 

Members of the club are happy that there will be more representation of Polish culture at Niles North, and that people from all cultures can experience it. 

“Polish is the third most spoken language in the state of Illinois, yet at Niles North there is little to no mention of it,” co-president of the club Albert Bogdan said. “Our club features members from every background, and it’s a gift to show up and see everyone every time we have a meeting. My favorite meeting so far this year was the collab meeting with Assyrian club, it was amazing to get a taste of their culture with the food and dances.”

The club is open to people of all cultural backgrounds, and the members encourage you to join. The club meets most Fridays after school in Room 2030, and each meeting holds different lessons, games, and activities concerning Polish culture. You can find more information on the club and its activities on the Polish club instagram page (@nnpolishclub).