It is time to turn down Chris Brown

Getty Images

Controversial singer, songwriter, dancer, and actor Chris Brown, who was previously known as the “King of R&B” and sang popular songs like Run It and, more recently, had a feature in songwriter Metro Boomin’s song Superhero (Heroes & Villains), is, among other things, not a superhero but a repetitive abuser towards women and an aggressive, unsafe person who should not be in a position to hold influence.

In 2009, Brown physically assaulted his girlfriend at the time, popular singer Rhianna, by hitting her in the face multiple times and even biting her ear, resulting in a busted lip, a bloody nose, and severe bruising on her face. Out of the many other aggressive acts towards women, this is one of his more violent offenses and resulted in his being charged with felony assault and criminal threats, to which he pleaded guilty and later accepted a plea deal of community labor, five years’ probation, and domestic violence counseling. Many think this was not nearly enough punishment, being that this is not his first offense, as he has acted violently towards countless others whose stories have not been placed in the spotlight yet.

Following the violent event with Rhianna, Chris Brown faced brief retaliation from other celebrities apart of the “Hollywood community,”  but it did not last long. Soon enough, he was back to his normal status, performing shows, receiving brand deals, and writing music. This reaction from celebrities, companies, and a large portion of society who have chosen to involve themselves in the lives of celebrities is unfitting and incredibly flawed. 

People like Chris Brown, who have a long history of being abusive and violent, should not, in any instance, be put in a position to have influence over society, whether it is by receiving brand deals or by the promotion of songs on radio stations. This situation with Chris Brown is a reflection of our society’s faulty  system of allowing people in positions of power to be untouchable and not be punished or treated appropriately for their actions. 

Since Brown’s trial, he has collaborated with various artists like Nicki Minaj, Pitbull, Tyga, and DJ Khaled and even signed a deal with Asics, a popular sporting goods company. In artist Lil Dicky’s song Freaky Friday, he opens the song with the lyrics, “I woke up, Chris Breezy. Oh my God, I’m the man.” These lyrics attempt to poke fun at Chris Brown’s violent past and hype up this idea of somehow being more of a man because of his actions, but are really incredibly insensitive to those on the other side of the violence previously sung about. The fact that an artist felt comfortable enough to write those lyrics and release them to the public just goes to show how desensitized many have become to the blatant appropriation of violence that people like Chris Brown have perpetrated. 

Not only is it inappropriate for artists to make jokes about such serious topics, but it is also morally wrong for artists and brands to simply associate with him. This is because when artists and brands make the decision to collaborate with him, it sends a strong message to every single person out of the 10 million in the United States who has suffered the effects of domestic violence and can be compared to a slap in the face. Whether it is knowingly or unknowingly, brands and artists who choose to partner with people like Chris Brown show their inability to support those who have survived domestic violence and, in turn, do not deserve attention from the public because of their hurtful decisions.

Chris browns domestic violence should not be overlooked and people should be more aware of who they support and listen to.

— Sophomore, Amira Shethwala

At the end of the day, Chris Brown should not be untouchable. He should be held accountable for his actions, whether it is through the justice system or by not being able to receive the same treatment as other celebrities, because what he did was not okay and he should not be treated the same for it. The next time one of his songs comes up on the radio or you see him come up on TV, don’t turn a blind eye, skip the song, or change the channel. Try your best to understand the type of person you are inherently supporting when you give him attention he is undeserving of. Think about the people who are still suffering or have survived domestic violence and who are made to seem insignificant by abusers like Chris Brown. It is time to turn down Chris Brown for good.