Everyone deserves a break especially during the most stressful time of the year, finals week

Finals week is the most stressful time of the year.
Canva

Getting a long weekend or days off school is the best feeling after working so hard each week, but students need a break before those stressful final days. 

After spring break there is a full month and a half of school. There are no long weekends or holidays off. This means working to submit homework, late work, and studying for tests and final exams.

Studies show that 89% of students are stressed about finals. A lot of students have after-school activities including clubs, sports, or work. Some students don’t have the opportunity to go home right after school ends and get their studying done. Some students get home late and don’t get sleep until they’ve done all their work.

Not only are these times stressful for students, but they’re also stressful for teachers, as they have to grade assignments, create final exams, and put in grades. Teachers also deserve to have time to destress and unwind as the year also ends for them. 

According to Nature Partner Journals, sleep measures accounted for nearly 25% of the variance in academic performance. Instead of having to cram and not get enough sleep, extra days off before finals would be beneficial for better grades. 

As someone who always feels tired and stressed out in school, Bayan Salih would love to get a break before final exams. 

“It gets so exhausting having to go to school, go to work, and then having to go home and study,” Salih said. “I feel so tired when I have to go take my final exams because I can’t have a break. Having a break would be so nice to have time to study and get some rest. The weekend isn’t enough to have a break especially when you have to study so much.” 

It gets so exhausting having to go to school, go to work, and then having to go home and study I feel so tired when I have to go take my final exams because I can’t have a break.”

— Bayan Salih

Having a break before finals would be beneficial for everyone. Having 2 days before the weekend off would be so beneficial for everyone. Instead of going to school on Thursday and Friday, students can have those days off to study and rest before the week of finals starts. Students would have more time to study along with getting much-needed rest, and teachers would have time to grade, take exams, and get ready for the school year to end, without having to make a lesson plan for the day. 

Feeling stressed is the worst feeling to have, but having time to study, rest, and unwind is beneficial for everyone, especially for students, as those extra days to rest can improve their chances of getting better grades.