We need to make friends with different political views

Ruby Rosenberg
Whether it be those heated Thanksgiving table debates or arguing with a peer over something they posted on their Instagram story, politics seems to be ripping the fabric of our society into pieces. 

It is becoming increasingly essential to surround yourself and befriend people with different political opinions. It’s no secret that America is as divided as ever, and we’ve been feeling it socially. In a poll conducted by the New York Times and Sienna College, nearly one in five voters say that politics has hurt their friendships or family relationships. 

Politics is a double-edged sword. While it has the power to unite like-minded people, it has a stronger capability to sever social ties. Whether it be those heated Thanksgiving table debates or arguing with a peer over something they posted on their Instagram story, politics seems to be ripping the fabric of our society into pieces. 

The root of this widespread disagreement isn’t actually politics at all. We as a human race have failed to find closure and acceptance in the face of disagreement. There is immense beauty to find in disagreement. If we all held the same ideas about every political issue, our political landscape would be boring, grim, and even oppressive. It is the diversity of thought that both colors and stabilizes our nation.

“You can learn more from them and have more of an open mind when it comes to different topics.”

— Haya Dababneh, Junior

Junior Haya Dababneh explains how having friends with different beliefs has been beneficial to her. 

“You can learn more from them and have more of an open mind when it comes to different topics,” Dababneh said. “Certain political beliefs don’t really define who the person is as a friend. I wouldn’t want anyone pushing their political beliefs onto me so I wouldn’t do the same to someone I know, just to have our beliefs match up so I can be friends with them.” 

So how do you maintain friendships through political riffs? Enter the practice of dialogue. We’ve all heard this word, but what does it mean? And how do we practice it? Dialogue is less about the issue at hand and more about how you approach it and discuss it. The most important (and most difficult!) part of engaging in dialogue is the willingness to change and mold your ideas with the help of your opposition. You must not only be open to and respectful of different ideas, but you must be ready and willing to change your own ideas. A dialogue goes both ways; when done correctly, both you and your ideological opponent will walk away with changed perspectives. The willingness to listen and respect other’s views is crucial to creating a kinder society and a more productive political landscape.

Here at Niles North, our community carries so many different ideological opinions. If we as a community could reach across walls and create bridges instead, perhaps we could have a large impact on not only our community but also our political climate as a country.”

Rampant polarization is seemingly taking over our society and government institutions. Political parties, friends, and family are refusing to speak to each other, creating a tense divide. Befriending people with different political views is the solution to this pressing issue. Exchanging perspectives, or even agreeing to disagree, yet carrying on a relationship with love, respect, and tolerance creates a bottom-up solution. Here at Niles North, our community carries so many different ideological opinions. If we as a community could reach across walls and create bridges instead, perhaps we could have a large impact on not only our community but also our political climate as a country.