Super Bowl LVIII: The Chiefs should not have won it all

The+Super+Bowl+58%2C+the+Chiefs+versus+the+49ers+
Elyana Kachaochana
The Super Bowl 58, the Chiefs versus the 49ers

In the electrifying spectacle that was the Super Bowl LVIII, the Kansas City Chiefs emerged as the ultimate victors, claiming the trophy in a thrilling showdown against the San Francisco 49ers. It was a victory not just for the team, but for Kansas City and its passionate fans who had waited for this moment of glory. While the triumph of the chiefs brought a cause of celebration to their fans, it was also accompanied by a tinge of sorrow for the valiant effort put forth by the 49ers. The 49ers should have won the Super Bowl, as their performance seemed to reflect a superior level of skill and strategy throughout the game, leaving many with the feeling that the outcome did not accurately reflect the 49ers’ efforts. Additionally, the overtime rule in this game highlighted the unpredictability of football outcomes, where a single coin toss can heavily influence the course of a game. Despite the 49ers’ efforts, the outcome ultimately hinged on a momentary event rather than a display of skill and strategy showcased throughout the game. 

The clash between these two football powerhouses was a spectacle to see, with both teams leaving it all on the field in pursuit of glory. The 49ers, empowered by their strong defense and powerful offensive strategy, came into the game with high hopes of securing another Super Bowl title. They were led by quarterback Brock Purdy and a ferocious defensive line, the 49ers put up a fight, matching the Chiefs blow for blow in a game that kept fans on the edge of their seats until the final whistle. 

Despite their best efforts, the 49ers fell short in the face of the Chiefs’ relentless onslaught. Led by Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, the Chiefs’ high-flying offense proved to be too much for the 49ers’ defense to handle, as Mahomes’ pinpoint passes and Kelce’s catches carved through their ranks with precision. 

Junior Kelvin Mikel, Chiefs’ fan, tuned in Sunday night to watch the big game and celebrated after his team won, 

“Man, I was full of joy and excitement when Mecole Hardman caught that ball,” Mikel said. “I was running around my house like a headless chicken, shouting and screaming with happiness when witnessing the greatness of Patrick Mahomes.” 

I was running around my house like a headless chicken, shouting and screaming with happiness when witnessing the greatness of Patrick Mahomes.

— Kelvin Mikel, junior

But while the Chiefs’ victory was cause for celebration, it was impossible to ignore the heartbreak felt by the 49ers and their loyal supporters. Despite the bitter disappointment of defeat, the 49ers’ journey to the Super Bowl was a testament to their determination, and they can hold their heads high knowing that they left everything on the field in pursuit of their dreams.

Junior Bobby Schneider, 49er fan, also tuned in Sunday night to watch the big game and later voiced his opinion on his team’s loss.

“The 49ers were robbed as there were clear missed holding calls which undoubtedly changed the result of the game,” Schneider said. “Additionally, the injury of Dre Greenlaw was detrimental to the Niners and they also would have undoubtedly won with him still in the game.” 

With each replay of the game’s pivotal moments, my feelings only grew stronger. There was a sense of injustice felt among the followers of the red and gold. The sting of defeat was compounded by the belief that the game had not been decided solely on the merits of fair play and skill. The belief that the 49ers had not received a fair shot at victory intensified as fans questioned officiating decisions, biased calls, and suspicions of external pressures influencing the game. The 49ers were trapped by circumstances beyond their control, adding bitter edge to the disappointment of defeat. 

The 49ers were robbed as there were clear missed holding calls which undoubtedly changed the result of the game

— Bobby Schneider, junior

This sense of injustice felt among 49er fans was sparked up over the controversial new overtime (OT) rule in the Super Bowl 58. This sudden-death format, where the first team to score, regardless of how, would be declared the winner. 49er fans were feeling robbed of a fair chance for the game to continue on equal terms. The aftermath saw widespread calls for reevaluating the new OT rule used in this game, highlighting the importance of fairness in sports. 

But as the confetti rained down, the cheers of victory echoed throughout the stadium, the significance of the Chiefs’ triumph was not lost on anyone. While the loss may hurt for the 49ers, they can take solace in knowing that they played their hearts out and gave it their all, leaving a legacy of courage and perseverance, but there lingers a sense of injustice. Many supporters can’t shake the feeling that the game was rigged against them, with questionable decisions and biased calls favoring the Chiefs. Moreover, the application of the overtime rule to this game seemed unfair, denying the 49ers a chance to redeem themselves in the extra time provided. This victory marks the Chiefs’ fourth win in history, with their first triumph in Super Bowl IV, followed by Super Bowl LIV, Super Bowl LVII, and now Super Bowl LVIII, adding to their storied legacy while leaving a bitter taste for their opponents.