New Cosmetology Club will glam up Niles North

A flier for Cosmetology Club’s first meeting. Image from Jody Trapani.

Cosmetology Club is a newly-established club at Niles North, centuring on beauty, skincare, hairstyling, and the like. Its first meeting, on February 6 in the Skyloft, was attended by some 43 students. The group plans to meet in the Skyloft every other Tuesday. 

The club’s sponsor is Alessandra Gallo, executive assistant to Niles North Director of English Sarah Klos and part-time makeup artist. Mrs. Gallo intends to prepare students who are interested in that profession for a career in cosmetology–though students who are just casually interested in learning more about how to do their makeup are welcome too. One common misconception she intends to do away with: the idea that the process of makeup application is universal for every person and skin type. 

“Sometimes [skin] may look the same, but close up…you’ll start to see that one person may have beautiful, perfect, poreless skin, whereas the next may have texture to their skin, or rosacea, and the way to go about those two different skin scenarios is going to be different. Your makeup application is going to be different, your prep is going to be different,” Gallo said.

“I decided to join Cosmetology Club because I got the inspiration from my cultural sisters, Bianca and Kristie,” said senior and Cosmetology Club member Angelika “Jelly” Dacpano. Like them, Jelly hopes to be able to open her own makeup business after college, for which the club will prepare her. In the future, she looks forward “to do[ing] other people’s makeup” in Cosmetology Club.

Buying enough makeup supplies for all the participants will not be cheap, so fundraising is currently a primary concern of the club. Mrs. Gallo floated the idea of a bake sale or pink hair extensions for Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October as potential fundraising ideas. 

“I think that there’s going to be many opportunities to fundraise coming up, and I’m really looking forward to it, so I encourage everyone to be on the lookout and to help support all of our club attendees”.