Niles North celebrates Lunar New Year with dragon dance, PASA celebration

Chinese Club
Flier created by Chinese Club for upcoming Lunar New Year celebration

Lunar New Year is around the corner and students and staff can’t wait to celebrate. Niles North has a rich Asian community that takes pride in the events and traditions that come with the new year. 

“Definitely, I’m really looking forward to the dragon dance and what the other AAPI Clubs have prepared.” Sophomore Rylee Reyes said.

The Lunar New Year, also known as Chinese New Year or Spring Festival, is a significant and widely celebrated traditional festival observed by many Asian communities which begins on Jan.21 lasting till Feb.20 and is usually celebrated on the 10th. It marks the beginning of the lunar calendar and typically falls between late January and mid-February. Each year is associated with one of the twelve animals of the Chinese zodiac, creating a cycle that repeats every 12 years, this year being the fifth year of the cycle and the Year of the Dragon. 

Chinese New Year emphasizes the importance of family, harmony, and the welcoming of a prosperous and auspicious year ahead. 

“The Lunar New Year means a time to get together with family, friends, and embrace culture and traditions. For me it reminds me of my home and helps me appreciate the inclusivity here at Niles North,” Chinese teacher Limin Dove said.

What’s more, if you’re feeling a little under the weather and unlucky, join our very own Chinese club who will be performing a special Lion and Dragon dance on Feb.9 at 7:30 a.m. at the bus entrance and Feb.12 at 7:45 a.m. at the Main Entrance to bring luck and prosperity into the upcoming year. There will also be activities held in the library all day on Feb.9 such as making paper fortune cookies.

Furthermore, you can also join the Pan Asian Student Association (PASA) on Feb.16 from 4:00-5.30pm who, along with the other AAPI clubs at Niles North; including Chinese Club, Filipino Club, Korean Club, and VSA. The itinerary will host short five-minute presentations, sharing personal stories, karaoke, calligraphy, and of course no traditional celebration is complete without the food.