SAG-AFTRA signs a deal to allow AI in video games, causes voice actors to retaliate

Wesley LeBlanc

On Jan. 16, SAG-AFTRA announced that they signed a deal with Replica Studios allowing AI in video games. This AI will allow video games to use a replica of actors’ voices. 

SAG-AFTRA stated that the deal was approved by members who would be affected by the deal, and because of this statement, many voice actors have retaliated. Numerous voice actors posted on X claiming that they weren’t informed about and didn’t agree to the deal they opposed the use of AI to replicate their voices. With this deal, SAG-AFTRA says it’s a safe way for professional voice actors to explore new employment opportunities. 

As an individual who plays video games, senior Edward Cho thinks this would be a great idea. 

“I think this would be a cool addition to video games because it would feel more interactive and would allow a lot more dialogue,” Cho said. 

SAG- AFTRA allows the voices of voice actors to be implemented in ways the world has never seen. It will allow for more interactive gameplay and more in-depth dialogue. This could change the realm of video games for years to come. 

I think this would be a cool addition to video games because it would feel more interactive and would allow a lot more dialogue.”

— Edward Cho, senior

The CEO of Replica Studios has assured that the voice actors being used in the video games are only accessing licensed talent who have given permission ahead of time. The deal also has safety nets for actors, like consent requirements, negotiation options, and the ability to opt-out in the future if they choose to.

As a big video game player, Peoria resident Craig Taylor says he thinks it will be a great addition. 

“I think it’s a cool concept because now depending on how you play the game, it will become more personalized and it will be real actors talking to you instead of a script when you play,” Taylor said.

SAG-AFTRA come up with a way to make video games better for players and more interesting for them. There are contracts set and consent forms for all the voice actors who would want to participate. It’s a great way to make playing even more fun.