Girls Gymnastics tumbles into successful start to season

Photo credited to: Niles North
Photo credited to: Niles North

Girls gymnastics at Niles North has taken many turns throughout the years. They’ve gained and lost popularity, competed in many meets, and most importantly, had fun and enjoyed the community that gymnastics offers.

This year’s season began Nov. 6, and since then the team has competed against Deerfield, Rolling Meadows, Vernon Hills, and Glenbrook North; all of which resulted in unfortunate losses.

Although they’ve lost many meets, they’ve still managed to acquire some stunning scores. Senior Giselle Slagg has consistently been a top scorer this season, with a high of 8.9 on the floor and a high of 8.4 on the vault, which, with her level of skill, isn’t surprising. Watching this athlete perform is utterly mesmerizing, as she sticks tough skills like her one and a half on the floor. Viewers hold their breath as she practically floats as she does her back tuck on the beam.

Not only does she score high in her events, but she also placed 4th on the floor during an invitational meet against Vernon Hills, Highland Park, and Glenbrook North, which is an amazing accomplishment not only for Giselle but for the whole team and a reflection of the immense work put in during practice and the goal-oriented coaching that is distributed throughout the whole team.

Coaches Tori Chung-Swanson, Andrew Foerch, and Lynette Tutt, who is a former state finalist in the uneven bars, are the pillars of the team and hold them together with their insightful coaching and motivating words of encouragement. The majority of the team is made up of high-spirited freshmen but still has representation from all grades.

The freshman team competes with the same music for the floor and similar routines on beam, vault, and uneven bars, while JV and Varsity compete with more varied skills and music. On beam, you might see a freshman connect a split jump with a full turn or attempt a cartwheel, while JV and Varsity would compete with higher skills like back walkovers on beam or back handsprings on floor. Although the level of skill varies across the team, all of the participants are incredibly talented and worthwhile to watch, as they have persevered through injuries, mental blocks, and the nerve-wracking intimidation of the crowd watching them perform.

These athletes practice every day during the week that there isn’t a meet, and some also attend the optional practice on Saturdays that is either held at Niles North or the Niles West gymnasium. Needless to say, these athletes are incredibly committed. At an average practice, gymnasts work on all events, which, for those who don’t know, are floor, uneven bars, vault, and beam. They may be learning new skills, perfecting old ones, or receiving important feedback from coaches to help them learn from mistakes made during an attempt at something. These practice habits teach participants persistence and not only a want but a need to continue learning in their everyday lives. In addition to the gymnastics part of practice, the athletes are also conditioned in many ways.

At the beginning of practice, the gymnast’s jog around the floor at a high pace, and later, during stretching, they strengthen their wrist and leg muscles with stretches led by captains Giselle Slagg and Avery Ermel, who is also a high scorer for the team. Multiple times a week, other forms of conditioning are administered. You can join gymnastics with zero experience and simply a desire to learn, but you will surely leave with enhanced discipline, core strength, dedication, and, most importantly, unbreakable bonds formed through the words of encouragement given to you when you are struggling to overcome a mental block, or the laughter shared when you hit the bouncy, blue floor once again hilariously.

This season, the team is sporting all new apparel. The practice leotards have been updated to new, nicer ones, and the competition leotards have also changed significantly with the addition of the rhinestones and high-quality purple and black fabric. If getting to see your prized girls gymnastics team isn’t enough of a reason to come and watch, surely their new, sparkly leotards will have convinced you to see these athletes in action.

Each year, the team is looking for more and more people to join and become involved in the all-inclusive community. If you were to join gymnastics, not only are you guaranteed to learn new skills, but you would also gain all of the other benefits that gymnastics offers, like improved self-esteem, better physical health, and more fuel for your brain and body, which will evidently spill graciously into both your school life and home life.

Although the team has had an unfortunate beginning to their season, there are still many meets to come and even more opportunities to support them. On Jan. 11, starting at 5:30, they will compete against our rivals, Niles West. The crowd’s energy will pump up those competing and hopefully help them win; as many say, the more, the merrier! This season’s schedule can easily be found on the 8 to 18 website, which also provides all the information needed. Students should definitely come support the girls that make up Niles North’s gymnastics team and contribute to the lively atmosphere that their meets foster.