Coding the future: The revived Coding Club strives to create passion

Coding Club meets every other Tuesday in room 1410.
Thea Abang

The tech industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the work field. From data scientists to software developers to information technology, the possibilities are endless. For those with ambitions of going into computer science, the new and improved Coding Club is the perfect place to start. Coding Club meets every other Tuesday after school in room 1410.

The club will host coding activities and offer networking opportunities to create a community of those interested in pursuing the technology industry in their career.

While Coding Club is not new to Niles North, it did take a hiatus for some time. Juniors Thea Abang and Tulsi Shah revived Coding Club this November, as they are both interested in computer science careers. The two wanted to not only enrich their coding skills but also learn about the specifics of working in the computer science field.

“It’s important just to understand what coding looks like outside of school,” Shah said. “In school, it’s very specific, you have certain tasks to complete, whereas in the field, it’s vastly different. You can be doing a number of different things in different positions. And you’re not just coding, you could be correcting code. There’s so many different types of jobs within computer science that it’s important to let people know what the options are.”

There’s so many different types of jobs within computer science that it’s important to let people know what the options are.

— Tulsi Shah, Coding Club co-founder

Coding Club, sponsored by computer science teacher Angie Hankes, plans to have guest speakers from CoinBase and Cisco talk to students about their careers in technology. These speakers can spark interest for those who aren’t quite sure what they want to study in computer science, or if they even want to study computer science at all.

Junior Natalie Ng is interested in a job in the computer science industry.

“If I talk to [industry professionals], I might be interested in something like computer science because of right now, I don’t really know what I’m interested in,” Ng said.

Students can also expect to participate in activities like Hackathons, where teams work together and try to solve a problem using code. Coding Club also wants to expose its members to different forms of coding and introduce them to LinkedIn.

It’s not required to be in a computer science class to join Coding Club– anyone with an interest in coding is welcome.