Celebrate Native American Heritage month

Photo credit to nativeamerican.org

National Native American Heritage Month is celebrated in November. During this month and every month, we celebrate and embrace American Indian and Alaskan Native history and culture that deeply enriches the quality of our nation. 

In 1990, a joint resolution was passed by Congress and signed into law by former President George H.W. Bush that declared Nov. as National Native American Heritage Month. Within this resolution, Native citizens now became recognized as America’s original inhabitants. Congress chose Nov. as the honorable month for Native Americans since the month concludes their traditional harvest season. It is also generally the time of celebration and giving thanks. 

There are a variety of ways to celebrate the Native People this month. One of the biggest is spreading awareness by doing the proper research to learn about their culture and their history. Native American Heritage Month.org features many different online exhibits and collections with rich information on history. 

This is a display we’ve done about native land and the idea that all of the land in America is native to at least some tribes, and nations.

— Caitlin Greener, NN librarian

Stay educated on the current issues that this population faces. Numerous Native people are murdered and go missing each year. This is commonly referred to as the Missing and Murdered Indigenous People crisis. May 4, is known as Missing or Murdered Indigenous Persons Day. A day solely dedicated to remembering the lives that have been lost and affirming the commitment to working with Native communities to keep families safe and help heal them. 

Along with this issue, this population faces problems regarding stereotyping and cultural disrespect. Sacred headdresses and war bonnets are worn by and sold to non-Tribal members. It is considered offensive to many Native people. To understand the importance of certain cultural dress and customs, consider doing things such as buying books from Native American authors or supporting Native American-owned businesses. 

The Niles North library features a display that highlights Native American heritage and history for staff and students who visit. 

“This is a display we’ve done about native land and the idea that all of the land in America is native to at least some tribes, and nations, “ librarian Caitlin Greener said. 

The Mitchell Museum of the American Indian in Evanston is a great local resource to use to get quality information about the long historic heritage of Native Americans. You can check out the link to book your ticket to explore the exhibits. 

Native people and non-Native people use land acknowledgments to recognize Indigenous People who are the original stewards of the lands in which we live. A land acknowledgment is a traditional custom that has been used for centuries By Native people. When making a land acknowledgment it should be motivated by genuine respect and support for Native people. To do this, one might add next to their email signature, I acknowledge that I live on the traditional lands of Kiikaapoi, Peoria,  Bodéwadmiakiwen  (Potawatomi), Myaamia, Očhéthi Šakówiŋ(Oceti-Sakowin-Sioux).

There are so many ways to appropriately celebrate Native Americans and Alaskan Natives this November and every month.