Looking toward the future: How Niles North can help students navigate the college application process

Graphic created by Aiden Stanciu

For high school seniors across the country, Nov. 1 represents the first major deadline in the timeline of the college application process–the official due date to submit most Early Action and Early Decision applications.

However, it is no secret that students can often find themselves overwhelmed by the complexities of the admission process, especially for first-generation college students whose parents never attained a postsecondary degree in the United States. From personal statements to activity lists to supplemental essays, the checklist of tasks to complete before hitting the alluring “submit” button can seem endless–and without the guidance of knowledgeable family members who have undergone the experience themselves, many are left with no choice but to seek outside assistance to gain the support they need.

College and Career Resource Counselor Allegra Giuletti-Schmitt drew from her personal experiences to share the greatest challenges she has seen students face when applying to colleges and universities for the first time. 

“Here at Niles North specifically, we have about two-thirds of our students that identify as first-generation,” Giuletti-Schmitt said. “That means that their families either don’t have a college degree or they have completed a college degree in a different country. And so the complexity around navigating the college application process and the multi-stepped pieces of applying to colleges can oftentimes sneak up on students.”

To a local extent, the Niles North College and Career Resource Center offers seniors and early-grad juniors an abundance of resources to guide them through the nuances of the college admission process. Students are always welcome to schedule appointments through the CCC website to gain individualized or small-group support as needed.

Image courtesy of Allegra Giuletti-Schmitt

Additionally, throughout the last two weeks before the Nov. 1 deadline, a series of events called the College Crunch Countdown have been and will be held to assist students with every aspect related to college. On Oct. 21, the College App-A-Palooza was held in the Skyloft from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., in which college admission representatives, school counselors, and teachers came in to offer students support with their activity lists, personal statements, and supplemental essays, as complimentary pizza and snacks were provided in the process.

James Mahia is a senior serving as the Vice President of the National Honor Society and has been one of the key overseers of the College Crunch Countdown events. According to his perspective, one of the greatest benefits of attending these workshops is having the opportunity to receive live feedback from experienced professionals.

“The College Crunch events, which I oversee, are really helpful for people who want to get a lot of feedback in a very short amount of time and constantly revise, especially considering that not only do we have counselors and English teachers, but also actual college representatives at the ready,” Mahia said. 

Image courtesy of James Mahia

As the final days leading up to the Nov. 1 deadline draw near, however, many students find themselves burdened by the stress of submitting their applications on time. However, in spite of the pressure, Giuletti-Schmitt has witnessed the close-knit community among Niles North students shine at its brightest during these pivotal moments.

In the years that I’ve done this [served as College and Career Counselor], I’ve never seen a more beautifully collaborative community than the Niles North students in those final days and final hours. I really witnessed students come together and support one another.”

— College and Career Counselor Allegra Giuletti-Schmitt

“In the years that I’ve done this [served as College and Career Counselor], I’ve never seen a more beautifully collaborative community than the Niles North students in those final days and final hours,” Giuletti-Schmitt said. “I really witnessed students come together and support one another, especially on those evenings when we stay late after school or the Saturday workshops, or even the Early Release workshops. It becomes a safe and welcoming space because we’re all in it together.” 

In continuation with the College Crunch Countdown schedule, an Early Release Workshop will be held on Oct. 26 in the Skyloft from 2:30 to 6 p.m., and a College Crunch Saturday will take place on Oct. 28 in the Skyloft from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Additionally, the last three days before the Nov. 1 deadline (Oct. 30, Oct. 31, and Nov. 1) will be considered drop-in days, allowing students to access the College and Career Resource Center to receive any needed last-minute assistance without having to schedule an appointment in advance.  

Meanwhile, those seeking additional information regarding the logistics of the College Crunch Countdown events or the college application process, in general, are encouraged to contact College and Career Counselor Allegra Giuletti-Schmitt at [email protected].