Antisemitic incidents reach new high in U.S., according to Anti-Defamation League

Anti-Defamation League
Photo credited to Anti-Defamation League

Anti-Semitic incidents in the U.S. rose by 10 percent in the first half of 2023, compared with the same period last year, according to data prepared for the World Zionist Organization’s Aliyah Integration and Diaspora Committee meeting. 

A report from the A.D.L has counted 3,697 incidents throughout the US in 2022, which was a 36 percent increase from the year prior. A majority of these cases were characterized as harassment, including online, but the total also included 111 assaults and more than 1,200 occasions of vandalism.

The report is the latest indication that antisemitism in the United States is on the rise, a trend that has been reflected in American culture and politics, sending fresh waves of alarm through Jewish communities. It also reflects the data gathered by the federal government, as well as a separate study tracking incidents of bias against many different types of religious groups.

Incidents documented by the A.D.L. include a white supremacist group using laser projectors to cast antisemitic messages on buildings in Florida, an individual yelling antisemitic obscenities at a synagogue’s preschool in Michigan, and a gunman taking multiple hostages at a synagogue in Texas. The report also includes some incidents characterized as anti-Zionist or anti-Israel. The A.D.L. said it did “not conflate general criticism of Israel or anti-Israel activism with antisemitism.”

The report documents relatively few incidents of physical assault, although they, too, are on the rise. The 111 incidents include a case in which an Arizona professor, Thomas Meixner, was killed by a former student who believed incorrectly that he was Jewish, according to the A.D.L. report.

Some synagogues across the country are using this weekend’s services to express solidarity against antisemitism. In New York, Mayor Eric Adams was scheduled to speak at Friday evening services at Central Synagogue, where Rabbi Buchdahl presides.